Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Use a low pressure hand pump to inflate. It doesn't hold much air and it won't take too many pumps to fill up quickly. I run at 38 lbs. I think you just have to try and experiment. Also use a motorcycle jack to get the weight off before inflating.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I weigh 175 and have the Vaq shocks set at 20. It rides fine, but I'm actually going to experiment a bit to see what other settings are like, now that I have a low pressure hand pump.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Adding air to the shocks is to set preload to maintain ride geometry as you add weight to the bike. 0 psi is for 150 lbs of passenger/cargo. 43 psi is for max weight capacity. More air in the shocks than is needed will raise the bike which in turn will provide slightly quicker turn in and greater cornering clearance. Rebound damping has to do with how the shock handles rough roads and quick transitions on the twisties.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Air Pressure - Rear Shocks - Loweeing

Uhhh, Lowering

Thanks all,

I do have a micro pump. It's a nice piece of equipment actually. I thing I was running mine at 25 lbs last year and in the middle on dampening. If I increase the dampening, that will make it rebound back from shock compression more or less? I want a firmer ride, but not interested in raising the bike either. Lower is always better!

On that note, I've seen some posts about cannibalizing the vaquero shocks to lower the bike an inch or so. Can that be done on the Classic swell? Anyone photo log this process as a How To?? I bet it would be quite a popular post.

Have a great day you all and happy trails!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
On the rebound, 1 is softer, 4 firmer. I would skip the lowering mod you mentioned, if its the one I'm thinking of. Seemed to work out for one guy riding solo, another guy did ok solo, but when his wife rode with him it blew out the seals and dumped the oil all over the back of the bike, and the cost of replacement shocks is very high, like $700 each I've heard. Even solo, a big bump, pothole, may cause shock to compress too far blowing the seals.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I run about 18psi on setting III for one up...26psi and setting IIII for two up.

As they have stuff all travel, I have found that taking the time to get it set up for a comfy ride is worth the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts