Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Thunder Mgf air kit, 4 weeks after I ordered it, and 3 days before I leave on a long bike tour. Trying to get it installed, and I'm confused.

I'm not a great mechanic, but learning a little bit more with each project.

The instructions are pretty bad. C'mon, Thunder, a couple pictures wouldn't kill you!

Ive attached one picture of what's in the kit. It seems like I may be missing some parts.

Some very basic questions (experienced mechanics, don't laugh)

The black thing seems to be what they're referring to as the "electrical cover". They say install it to the throttle body, but I'm honestly unclear how it fits on there.

The teardrop shape without the eagle seems to be the adapter that fits over the throttle body. It has a place for the air hose and air temp sensor. That makes sense...but what happens then? Some of the kits said they required an insert, but this one said it was complete. Does the original cover go back on?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year and model for your machine
The 2014 Nomad in my sig line....but wouldn't it be the same for essentially any of the 1700 models? It's all the same kit from Thunder.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not seeing the sig line. Thunder should have a contact us center maybe online. There may be better instructions available online as well. You may need to search for more info by using the part number of the kit you have. Also, in the first page or so of instructions there is usually a parts list so if you think you might be missing some parts, check for this list. Sfair may be able to tell you exactly what to if you ask him.

·
Registered
281 Posts
OK you ready?
The black plastic piece that covers the wiring that is attached to the throttlebody is held in place by the two silver security torx screws to the right, when you look at your picture. You can get a security torx bit set from harbor freight for like $ 6.00. The rest is straight forward. Remove the filter assembly on the left side of the bike to get to the crank case breather hose. The stock hose is a small S shaped type hose, remove that and use the hose supplied with the kit. I would secure it to the motor with a small hose clamp if the kit did not bring one. Run the hose between the jugs to the right side of the bike. Now you can hold up the backing plate of the air kit and trim the crank case hose if it is too long. The hose is the slipped on snuggly to the white nipple on the backing plate. By this time you should have already removed and transfered the air temp sensor from the stock air box to the bcking plate of the air kit. Now mount the backing plate to the throttle body. Use blue loctite for those screws to make sure they don't vibrate loose. Plug the wire harness for the air temp sensor. Then mount the filter element to the backing plate and mount the decorative outer plate that secures the air filter in place. The kit should have come with a plug to block the PAIR valve hose that was at the 11 o'clock position of the stock air box. That needs to be blocked or you will have major decel popping. From the picture it looks like you aalready have it blocked with the red cap, good. Tighten everything up and fire up the bike. Ride and enjoy. Then think on what you want to order next to cover the empty , ugly left side of the motor. I wish Kaw would have finished polishing the fins on that side. Good luck. Any questions PM me.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use an smart phone app to view this forum, I don't get to see the sig lines.
That's useful to know...I generally try not to repeat information that's already there, but I didn't realize you couldn't see that on phone.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!

Thanks to @hockeynut52 for the guidance. I was really just having a paradigm issue - had the wrong picture in my head.

I like the kit so far, but honestly, a couple of pictures on the installation instructions and I would've been done last night. i've been very impressed by the install manuals for the V&H pipes and the Cobra PowrPro. Not so much the Thunder air kit.

Now on to installing the Marvella's passenger footpegs to make this Fort Worth to Toronto trip easier on my girl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts