Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering upgrading from stock and really have no clue here on what to get. Been looking at the Baron Big Air Kit but have heard about the Kuryakyn Hypercharger. What do you run and how do you like it?? Also, if I change the air intake, do I need a fuel processor?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the Baron Big Air Kit, and I love it. I really like the design, but more importantly I like how low profile it is. No problems with it sticking out. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but yes you will need a fuel processor if you change the air intake. I think I even have one I could get you for cheap if you are interested.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
IMO the BAK looks best next to the v twin engine. Had one on my 9 and also put one on my V2K. The hyper charger stick out quite a bit and could hit your leg depending on height and riding style. Id go with the bak, shop around i got one for 235 with free shippin

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
oh... as far as i know (and i could be wrong) but as long as you only change the intake OR the exhaust you are safe..... if you change both you need it BUt a processor can add performance to a bike with only one add on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
you dont need a processer unless you are running rich or lean, you can run for a while and pull the plugs, they dont lie. But if you got the cash get a pcIII/V and a dyno tune for best performance

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
here is a copy of an earlier thread at ..... http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161876

there is a claimed 7 plus hp gain with a fuel processor, i have not had my bike on a dyno so i stress the "claimed" gain.

As stated in my further posts, i added a FI 2000 power pro "auto tuner" .... no issues at all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there folks. I finally got my hypercharger installed the other day with the help of this thread (see link)
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/46881-vn900-hypercharger-install-instructions-4.html

The pics you need for the install are on page 4 as the originals were accidentally deleted by the OP.

These instructions are spot on, time wise it took me no more than an hour and i was going extra slow as i am very mechanically challenged. The bike work fine as far as i can see, i have not ridden it far as it was crappy weather the other day and i am still awaiting my FI 2000 pro tuner processor (probably not needed but i want the bike to run spot on.). At idle and reving it did not cause it to sputter, back fire, fart or do anything else.

I really like the look of it, but question the water resistance of it in heavy rain. This bike is just a day hopper anyway and i seriously doubt whether it will see any rain. My classic however is a all weather rider and i will be keeping the stock system in place.

and the whole look on the bike

I would suggest to anyone who has limited mechanical ability like myself, to not be afraid of this install, take your time, follow the pictorial and save yourself a bunch of dough.

cheers Maurice

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Cobra one looks sweet!! Just kind of curious with any of these aftermarket kits what happens when it rains?? Whats the chances of sucking in some water?

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Cobra one looks sweet!! Just kind of curious with any of these aftermarket kits what happens when it rains?? Whats the chances of sucking in some water?
the barons big air kit comes with a raincoat, its just a mesh cover that blocks water from getting in, i just keep it under the seat.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I think some are available with rain covers, kinda like a slip over nylon stocking. :eek:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Most of the kits do come with rain sock and they do sort of work. But a friend of mine was riding in a real frog strangler last year and his bike started running rough from the amount of water that was still getting through. No permanent damage, but still something to make you think. I ended up building my own "dog bowl" air filter kit. I can't promise that it gives more performance, but it looks a darn site better than that stock air box. The link below is my write up on how to build one of these.

Dog Bowl Intake

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running a Kuryakan Hyper Charger on my 800 classic. At the time I installed I also put on Cobra Slash cuts and between the two it made a world of difference in performance. I would definitely put them both on again!
The hyper charger looks mean, but I will warn you that you have to ride with your leg very slightly angled out since the hyper charger sticks out a few inches farther that the stock air box.

No fuel management stuff needed for my kit, I just had to re-jet due to the pipes.

I dont have any concerns about rain getting in. I live in NM and it is sunny 330 days a year.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am running a Kuryakan Hyper Charger on my 800 classic. At the time I installed I also put on Cobra Slash cuts and between the two it made a world of difference in performance. I would definitely put them both on again!
The hyper charger looks mean, but I will warn you that you have to ride with your leg very slightly angled out since the hyper charger sticks out a few inches farther that the stock air box.

No fuel management stuff needed for my kit, I just had to re-jet due to the pipes.

I dont have any concerns about rain getting in. I live in NM and it is sunny 330 days a year.

Mark
You must have an 800. We can't re-jet on the 900 because they are fuel injected... no carburetor. Carbs get re-jetted when you change the fuel air mixture by adding intake/exhaust, injectors need a fuel computer to help them deal with changes in the fuel air mixture.

·
Registered
246 Posts
airbox

As I just said on another thread I made my own airbox and I'm very happy with it. I can recomend making one or if you can afford it buying one. Keeping in mind the cost of replacement air filters.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts