Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some help on what air intake to put on my vaquero i have freedom performance true duals on it dont even know if i should change it dont no much about the vaquero 1st kaw ive owned any help would be great

·
Registered
364 Posts
looking for some help on what air intake to put on my vaquero i have freedom performance true duals on it dont even know if i should change it dont no much about the vaquero 1st kaw ive owned any help would be great
big b,

I'm surprized that you have not got any responses yet, but the answers would depend on what your objectives are.

Also, adding a new BAK (Big Air Kit) along with your new full exhaust system would require the addition of a fuel manager to truly benefit and prevent running dangerously lean. (But perhaps, you have already added a fuel manager - you didn't say.)

If you just want a little more power, you may want to look at the Chuckster or Thunder Mfg. "Stock Air Cover" Kit. These add a large diameter K&N filter, but re-use your stock air cleaner cover on the right side. You can also remove the left side air box/stock filter housing with these kits as it is no longer required.

If you want to add a custom look along with more power, then both Thunder Mfg. and Kuryakyn make complete replacement BAKs with custom covers. These kits as well, allow you to remove the left side air box.

The main caveat to consider though, is that there will be a large increase in intake and engine noise with most BAKs on the 1700. Unlike many other bikes, the 1700 has some design quirks that result in this added noise being considered rather unpleasant by some (not all). The bike will sound great revving at a stand-still, but may not sound so great under load. Your Freedom Exhaust, however, may drown out most of that noise.

...hope this helps.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I ran the Thunder MFG BAK for about a year and took it off. The hammering noise around 2400rpm was too much and I wear a full face helmet. I'm sure the bike was breathing easier but the trade off was not worth it to me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I ran the Thunder MFG BAK for about a year and took it off. The hammering noise around 2400rpm was too much and I wear a full face helmet. I'm sure the bike was breathing easier but the trade off was not worth it to me.
I hear you! I ended up doing the same with my Chuckster BAK for the same reason...

However, the design of the new Kuryakyn BAK is somewhat different than any other I have seen. It includes a flow adaptor plate that may reduce the intake noise somewhat. I would very much like to read an impartial review of the Kuryakyn on a Vulcan 1700. Especially from someone who installs it with the stock exhaust so that you can fully appreciate how it sounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the help i already have a fuel manager on the bike dose anyone know about the roaring toyz air intake and is the noise that really that bad

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
thanks for all the help i already have a fuel manager on the bike dose anyone know about the roaring toyz air intake and is the noise that really that bad
NO, not to me. The noise from the engine is very normal. I guess if I had stock pipes on I would hear the air going through the TB.
With the big 3, it runs & sounds great.:p

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have the allycat air cleaner
the intake noise is ok ,but the engine under load is loud knocking noise i have refitted the left side airbox for looks and it has helped a little with the knocking noise ,
the only other negative is that the adaptor pushes your right leg out off the floor board so you ride bow legged a bit other than that its great

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks think im going to take a chance and get the thunder air intake anyone know if someone other than roaring toyz makes apes for the vaq

·
Registered
287 Posts
Greetings. I was wondering who all has just done a BAK without the pipes, and fuel management. The reason I'm asking is:
1. Does the addition of just the BAK get rid of that power lag during 90* plus days thought to be caused by sucking in the overly heated air between the jugs?, and
2. Does all of the BAK's result in this annoying noise people describe?
Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
Greetings. I was wondering who all has just done a BAK without the pipes, and fuel management. The reason I'm asking is:
1. Does the addition of just the BAK get rid of that power lag during 90* plus days thought to be caused by sucking in the overly heated air between the jugs?, and
Thanks
No, the bike will still fall on its face when it gets warm. I can only speak for the Thunder BAK when i say the hammering noise is god awful loud around 2400rpm.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks
I HAD the Chuckster BAK initially with stock exhaust and no Fuel Manager...

1) I found that the power lag was even worse on hot days than with the stock air box as the Intake Air Sensor got heat-soaked more readily. I suspect that this is because the intake Air Sensor gets relocated to the aluminum backing plate which heats up fast and bogs the engine down considerably...and it stays warm when you shut the engine down and then restart it a short time later. It takes many highway miles to get the plate cooled down again, possibly more with a fully faired bike like the Voyager or Vaquero.
I would recommend relocating the Air Temp Sensor to a cooler spot with such a BAK.
Note: Even with the RACNRAY Throttle Mod, it also seemed that I had to twist the throttle much more with the BAK to get any useable power. The engine may have revved and breathed much more freely, but it took much more throttle input.

2) I concur with Wbilotta about the noise. It was terrible most of the time. The only time it seemed to sound good was at a stop when you blipped the throttle, but as soon as the engine was under load the droning, air hammering and terrible knocking was just plain embarrassing.

You would need aftermarket exhaust to help drown out the sounds resulting from the BAK, but then you would also need a Fuel Manager. So, if you are planning to do such mods shortly, you may be able to live with the drawbacks of just the BAK alone on your stock bike for a short period of time. The BAK lasted about 2 weeks on my bike before I had enough ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering the Tornado Air Kit within about week, It seems Thundermfg is the only place I can find it, does anyone know how quick they are when it comes to shipping?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the FP True Duals also, and a Cobra Power Pro tuner, but am planning to leave the intake stock for now. I had an aftermarket air kit on my 900 and the additional noise was substantial. After seeing some other comments on this forum about noise from BAKs I would rather stay with stock than take a chance on more noise at the engine.
I am very happy with the sound of the exhaust and am not looking for any more power.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks guys for the reply's. I initially put the cobra pipes on (which sounded really good) with the intent to do the big three, but the pipes were loud enough to drown out my tunes, so back to the stock exhaust. I was hoping the BAK would get rid of that lag, but it doesn't so like it. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the cobra tri-ovals and fi2000 power pro with a k&n filter , setup works fine for me and the bike fly's..i am thinking of taking the k&n off ..sounds better . :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering the Tornado Air Kit within about week, It seems Thundermfg is the only place I can find it, does anyone know how quick they are when it comes to shipping?
Diehard they were pretty quick when I ordered mine from them. I called to make sure they had it in stock first. I had it within a week. It really depends on what UPS zone you are in. They were top notch in service. Plus the air kit is pretty easy to install. Make sure you get the throttle body gasket and install both at the same time, no sense in doing something twice it only costs 6-7 bucks and well worth it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the reply cap! Yeah I was gonna actually call and order it to make sure they it's in stock and was planning on getting the gasket too. I was gonna go black but now im thinking chrome now incase I wanna add FPE I might go chrome with that also to save a $100. Thanks again!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks for the reply cap! Yeah I was gonna actually call and order it to make sure they it's in stock and was planning on getting the gasket too. I was gonna go black but now im thinking chrome now incase I wanna add FPE I might go chrome with that also to save a $100. Thanks again!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I have the black one with chrome pipes. It doesn't look bad at all.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have the black one with chrome pipes. It doesn't look bad at all.:D
Yeah I knew you had the black one, in fact I have your pics saved on my pc. When you installed the gasket was there torch specs to tighten the throttle body down and what was it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah I knew you had the black one, in fact I have your pics saved on my pc. When you installed the gasket was there torch specs to tighten the throttle body down and what was it?
There may be some specs in the service manual. I didn't use them, but I made things tight enough. Remember there are stand offs on the throttle body so you can't over tighten to much. Well sort of unless you use HULK specs... :eek: Don't do that...lol Here are the Torque specs for the bolts as per the manual 87 in/lb for the three bolts. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts