Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past couple of rides, I have noticed what appeared to be a burning smell coming from the throttle side of the engine compartment. I grabbed my flashlight and couldn’t find any burning rubber, dark electrical connections, or any oil leaks.

What I did discover is that it appears the smell is coming from my air intake. When the bike is running I can feel a decent amount of air coming from the air intake and I believe this is the source of what I’m smelling since I know the crankcase vents to the airbox.

My question is; is this air coming out of my air intake normal? Like I said above, I can feel the puffs of air hitting my hand when I place it next to the air intake.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I don't think it would be an exhaust manifold leak since that would be up front where the exhaust pipes attach to the head. I never felt any air exiting the air intake itself. It's a seal unit so you shouldn't really feel any air by the side of the cylinder area. Is the burning smell like an burned oil smell or more like an electrical or plastic smell? Maybe the crankcase vent hose popped off? To be on the Safe side I would pop off the tank and take a look. Did you or someone change the Air Filter element recently? Perhaps they didn't put it together properly? Check the bike for error codes and see if any come up. Also check the Oil level and make sure it is between the lower line and the upper line while the bike is level. If it is above the top line it is overfilled which can cause issues.

Keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know. :wink2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the troubleshooting tips! The smell of the air actually almost smells more like exhaust than burning oil or burning rubber or anything like that. The air coming out of the air box reminds me a lot of the air coming out of the exhaust actually.

After doing a bit of research, do you think a problem with an intake valve not seating all the way, or at all, cause this symptom? Maybe the valves fell out of spec? My bike isn’t due for a valve adjusment for like another 12,000 miles. But that would make sense to me according to my rudimentary knowledge of how engines work haha.

My oil is full, but not above the line. I check it almost daily because I’m a crazy person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the air filter element has not been serviced since I bought the bike in July 2018 new.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If your valves would be out of spec you would get an error code. check the codes as outlined in the first section of this forum and let us know what numbers come up. Also check the exhaust pipes at the head and see if they are tight or if any air is escaping around the mounting points. It's definitely a mystery to me. But check the codes maybe they will reveal something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just tried to retrieve the error code(s), but after holding the required buttons, nothing happened; so does that mean no codes triggered?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my plan was to take the bike to the dealer for inspection tomorrow (Saturday).

After a little more inspection last night, I have determined that I’m an idiot. I realized that the air I was noticing was in fact... from the radiator fan. ...what an idiot.

Anyways, I’m not sure what could possibly be giving me that burning smell which I have now discovered is being brought to the side of the head from air being blown by that fan. My only idea is to check the radiator. I haven’t noticed a drop in coolant levels or anything.

Just wanted to post an update, even though I’m a bit embarrassed ha.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
904 Posts
So my plan was to take the bike to the dealer for inspection tomorrow (Saturday).

After a little more inspection last night, I have determined that I’m an idiot. I realized that the air I was noticing was in fact... from the radiator fan. ...what an idiot.

Anyways, I’m not sure what could possibly be giving me that burning smell which I have now discovered is being brought to the side of the head from air being blown by that fan. My only idea is to check the radiator. I haven’t noticed a drop in coolant levels or anything.

Just wanted to post an update, even though I’m a bit embarrassed ha.

Thanks for all the help!
No problem! It’s all live and learn, man. Enjoy your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts