Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the new S&S air cleaner or the Baron BAK on their Vulcan 900; how is the fit and performance; any problems with the crankcase vent?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I installed the BAK on mine and for looks in my opinion is the best. It covers the ugly part of the vtwin engine perfect but smaller than the stock one so it looks very clean. You will feel some increase in performance over the stocker but make sure you add a fuel management so its done right. So far I've been very happy and no issues at all. The only heads up I will give you is that with any aftermarket intake system you engine noise will be a little louder.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Has anyone installed the new S&S air cleaner or the Baron BAK on their Vulcan 900; how is the fit and performance; any problems with the crankcase vent?
I installed the BAK and am very pleased. They have attachment ports for all the hoses, sensors, etc. No problems at all with the kits, and quality is top notch, as good or better than any I have ever used.

Additionally, the air cleaner doesn't project out as much as the stock unit or the other aftermarkets units. Highly recommend it.:)

Andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
We used the S&S Air-filter on our test bike along with our exhaust systems. We installed each one of the styles of exhaust we make and The S&S filter and found good performance gains. Changing the air-flow with new pipes and aftermarket air-filters will improve the performance of your bike. Do not forget the fuel controller, you need more fuel when you change the air-flow.
If you have any questions regarding air-flow changes to you bike, please feel free to contact me.
Doug
Fuggin Fabrication
480/813-4474

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We used the S&S Air-filter on our test bike along with our exhaust systems. We installed each one of the styles of exhaust we make and The S&S filter and found good performance gains.
Good info, Doug, thanks for checking it out and giving them the thumbs up. They make a quality product, but it's good to have it tested out from someone other than themselves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SHILOH
Did you have any problems with the crankcase breather dripping oil in or outside the filter?

·
Registered
209 Posts
SHILOH
Did you have any problems with the crankcase breather dripping oil in or outside the filter?
Some oil collects on the inside of the housing/filter, just as on the OEM assembly. But I haven't had any issue with oil dripping out on the engine since I clean the inside of the filter housing about every 1500 miles or so and also being over the top on maintenance, keep the oil level within the lines, never above the top fill mark.

Other systems may use a separate filter on the end of the breather hose (instead of a fitting on the air cleaner) that is tucked away somewhere, like under the fuel tank. These are going to create an absolute nightmare of a mess of oil coated parts and wires over time. And very difficult to clean completely.

The best solution I have ever found is a air/oil separator attached to a separate breather hose. Here is a link to one that is billet and not cheap.
But it really does the trick.

http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/Crank Case Breather.htm

Second best solution is to route the breather air/oil into the air cleaner.

JMO

Hope this helps, :)

Andy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Air Cleaner Wows

So no one else out there has installed the S&S air cleaner mod, fascinating, I'm torn between the S&S and BAK. Any more opinions?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just installed the the LA choppers(black)XXX air kit on my SE can't judge it from other kits but i did have to buy a little longer hose from auto parts place to finish the job, installation fairly easy though and removal of the gas tank was recomended but i didn't, it just makes the hose a little harder to install on air valve under the tank looks great on the bike thought. looks nice and im happy.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently installed a BAK along with a mapped PCIII from fuelmoto and couldn't be happier with the results. It's not a earth shattering change, but a change you can feel.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I installed the BAK on mine ... You will feel some increase in performance over the stocker but make sure you add a fuel management so its done right.
curious... is Baron's f*[email protected]&ing everyone out there by saying their product "doesn't need" a fuel management system?? there is a video on one of the sites describing the BAK in detail, by the owner. he specifically says a fuel mod after installing it is not necessary.

i agree it makes sense that it would need it, esp. if you have aftermarket pipes as well.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
curious... is Baron's f*[email protected]&ing everyone out there by saying their product "doesn't need" a fuel management system?? there is a video on one of the sites describing the BAK in detail, by the owner. he specifically says a fuel mod after installing it is not necessary.

i agree it makes sense that it would need it, esp. if you have aftermarket pipes as well.

thoughts?
If you're only putting on an intake and not changing from OEM exhaust you will probably be just fine with no controller. If you change only the exhuast same thing BUT if you change both you will probably need to add fuel. I have the BAK and have gutted the OEM pipes however, there is still the front of the muffler can in there leaving a 1 inch hole for the exhaust to come through. That and the catalytics seem to have enough restriction that I have my GMan Bully controller dialed down to factory inputs, ie it's not adding fuel. The Plugs look fine this way and I don't have any weird popping from the exhaust. There is a little more power though, enough to notice when I put the OEM stuff back on anyways.

And thanks for the compliments on my sticker. It was my co-workers idea really. He's a whole lotta fun to work with and sometimes hard to believe he's 70+.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked in the past but how do you keep everything dry when you get caught in a rain storm. Looks to me like it could take water directly into the throttle body.

·
Registered
976 Posts
First, the filter is oiled. Second, every BAK comes with a rain cover or pre-filter if you like. It's a little thicker build then panty hose so you could use a piece of that if you wanted too on other filters. Third, I've been in down right, shouldn't still be riding its raining so hard downpours with the pre-filter off and never noticed it from the engine. I was in a pretty good tourant in Eureka Springs two weeks ago, thought of water going in the bike never crossed my mind. I think you'd have to drive it under water first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts