Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that put on a Thunder intake, is the crossover easily removable, or is like the past Vulcan intakes that had to be cut out?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Installation pictures??????? Removal of air duct pictures???????

hint.... hint.... :camera:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
For those of you that put on a Thunder intake, is the crossover easily removable, or is like the past Vulcan intakes that had to be cut out?
It's easy just 3 or 4 screws on the left side holds the crossover on.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered the PCV and Thunder Intake for the bike. Can't wait to get them installed!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Just ordered the PCV and Thunder Intake for the bike. Can't wait to get them installed!
Now just in case you don't know, if you remove the left side crossover tunnel assembly you will not be able to keep the left side air box cover on right? Some just leave it off, and others order the adapter to hold one of their home made covers. Does this make any since?:)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now just in case you don't know, if you remove the left side crossover tunnel assembly you will not be able to keep the left side air box cover on right? Some just leave it off, and others order the adapter to hold one of their home made covers. Does this make any since?:)
Yeah, it does. Had to do the same with my older VN1500 Classic and my 1500 Mean Streak. I'll figure it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kit

Just got my Thunder air kit. It does not really say what to do with the left hand backing plate and cover just take them off. From reading this thread I think you are saying to be able to keep the OEM cover on I need to order another Thunder mounting bracket. Can you verify this?

Thanks
Stuart

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If you want the stock left side cover to stay on just leave the left side air box inplace. If you want a different cover made by Thunder you have to order the adapter plate from them for their cover and of course remove the left side air box.
Did you get the #51010 kit?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They just delivered mine the other day. I installed it and left the left side open. I figure it will help dissipate the heat a little bit more than leaving the cover on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes. I got the 51010 kit. After looking starting to tear it down I was thinking I could probably leave the left side in place. If I can get an adapter to hold the left side cover though I think it would allow more airflow around the engine to keep it cool. I am installing the Cobra Powerpro to go with it so looking forward to see what difference it will all make.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Yes. I got the 51010 kit. After looking starting to tear it down I was thinking I could probably leave the left side in place. If I can get an adapter to hold the left side cover though I think it would allow more airflow around the engine to keep it cool. I am installing the Cobra Powerpro to go with it so looking forward to see what difference it will all make.
I don't think there is an adapter to hold the stock side cover. What I did was cut off the tunnel part of the left side air box so it would let air flow better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't think there is an adapter to hold the stock side cover. What I did was cut off the tunnel part of the left side air box so it would let air flow better.
Thanks for the info David, that makes sense. It seems like Thunder's instructions isn't very clear for the options for the left side.

How does the right side look with the air box gone and does their adapter plate move the stock cover closer to the motor? A picture would be nice.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Thanks for the info David, that makes sense. It seems like Thunder's instructions isn't very clear for the options for the left side.

How does the right side look with the air box gone and does their adapter plate move the stock cover closer to the motor? A picture would be nice.

Thanks,
James
The right side is a little closer. Here is a picture.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey David, I'm gonna try that map today. Just finished installing everything Friday and loaded the dyno map in along with a thunder map I also want to try. I'll let you know how I make out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts