Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am painting some parts on my bike and I have taken the air intake cover off and painted that. Now my question is, what's the round cover on the other side of the engine? And how do you take it off? I have tried pulling it and rotating it but can't get it off and I believe the bolt is a dummy bolt like the air intake cover.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Which side are you referring to, and what year/model is the bike?

My '04 classic had the round dog bowl on each side, the one on the left being the air filter housing and the one on the right being the air intacke cover for the car. The filtered air passes through an air tube between the cylinders from the left side to the right and into the carb.

I got rid of all that and put a Baron's Big Air kit that bolts right to the carb, eliminating the left side air filter and air tube. It should have an allen head bolt, it is not a dummy bolt. It actually holds the thing on.

If you have the twin carb model (1995 and earlier, some 96s) they are both air cleaners. Without knowing the year and model of the bike, it's hard to advise you.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
That's where the air filter is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yes, this is the side that has the actual air filter in it. if the screw isn't coming out, there is a chance the nut is spinning inside the plastic stem on the inside, or the threads got stripped by a previous owner/service man...

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Get some mini vice grips and pull it out as you turn it. This happened to mine several years back before I replaced the whole air system. Then, take the bolt to a hardware store and buy a standard bolt the next size up from the metric. When you install it, it should create it's own new grooves in the plastic. Your other option is to wrap the stock bolt with teflon tape as a temp fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts