Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much air should be in the shocks for a motorcycle that has a 375 lb load. Going on a long run and want everything to be as good as I can get it. Bike is a 2015 Voyager ABS.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You need a zero loss pump with a built in gauge.If you have a high end bicycle shop near you they should have one cheaper than you can find at any motorcycle shop. Most folks have theirs set between 25 and 30 psi. I run 26 myself(260lb) but almost never ride two up. "DO NOT" try to fill them with a regular air compressor! The chambers are so small, I am told about the size of a golf ball,you can easily damage them. A hand pump is the way to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I bought a zero loss pump today. Its a Harley Davidson pump but that's what was out there for me to buy. I checked the shocks and they had zero air pressure in them. I pumped them up to 20 lbs and left the bike sit for 4 hours, Rechecked, and still 20 lbs. I'm pissed because when I bought the bike I asked how much air was in the shocks because I usually ride 2 up. They told me that's how it was set up. Does the bike come from the factory with no air in the shocks? I was wondering why I was hitting hard. I hope the bike is not damaged. I now have them set at 45 lbs each because with both of us on the bike the load will be 350 lbs. I'm the bulk of that.lol I also have the dampening set at 4 so I'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi SM3

My '09 V1700 Classic came with zero psi. I'm a lightweight 170 or so, maybe 190 with junk in he bags, I'm running about 7-8 psi set at 1. Don't know if this is best or poor or just OK. Runs and feels OK to me ��

WEG

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
So I bought a zero loss pump today. Its a Harley Davidson pump but that's what was out there for me to buy. I checked the shocks and they had zero air pressure in them. I pumped them up to 20 lbs and left the bike sit for 4 hours, Rechecked, and still 20 lbs. I'm pissed because when I bought the bike I asked how much air was in the shocks because I usually ride 2 up. They told me that's how it was set up. Does the bike come from the factory with no air in the shocks? I was wondering why I was hitting hard. I hope the bike is not damaged. I now have them set at 45 lbs each because with both of us on the bike the load will be 350 lbs. I'm the bulk of that.lol I also have the dampening set at 4 so I'll see how that goes.
45lbs is at or over the maximum pressure for the shocks.They are very expensive to replace. From what I have heard the dealer almost never airs up the shocks on delivery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manual say's 47 lbs for the max load of 397 lbs. I can drop it some but I need a higher pressure for 2 up riding.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I run all the time 40 psi set at 3.

I'm about 110Kg. Sometimes wifes rides with me - perhaps 1 of 10 times.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is one there at III and the next is IIII so I guess yes it has a IIII setting. I can't see it so I have to use a mirror.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My '14 Nomad has a 1111 setting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts