Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not be the right place to post this but it is for the 1700 air box. There has been a lot of talk here about blocking off the air hose from the air box to the switching valve. BrucerZX14 metioned that he used a well nut to block his off from inside the air box (just take the cover off the right side airbox 4 screws). I liked his idea because the well nut expands in the hole and seems more secure then just sticking in a rubber plug.

I stopped by Lowes and got a well nut but it is really short and wouldn't stay in good. The first part of the hole is flared and that was the only part that the short well nut expanded, so I could just pop it back out with my finger. So after looking around for a longer well nut without any luck I went to Fastenal and they had what I wanted, a well nut 1" long. The only problem is that they sell in bulk so I had to buy a box of 10.

So I have 9 left if anyone wants a easy way to block off the air line from inside the air box. Just push the well nut in and tighten the screw a few turns till it fits snug. I'm including a screw and a washer to go with the well nuts.

If anyone wants one of the other 9 that I have left just msg me, the first 9 people will get them. I'm not going into business getting anymore just getting rid of my excess and helping a few out here. There is no guarentee on anything... to be clear I'm just selling well nuts. $5 will get the well nut, screw, warsher, cd mailer, and shipping in the USA.

I'll include a picture at the bottom, the short well nut is the one that I got at Lowes, the longer one is the one you will get.
James

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hey Replay...glad you figured out what I used. Sorry I didn't get back to you. I've been so busy at work, I didn't have any time to get on the computer. Pretty easy fix....ain't it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
i want 1 send me a pay pal address.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Replay...glad you figured out what I used. Sorry I didn't get back to you. I've been so busy at work, I didn't have any time to get on the computer. Pretty easy fix....ain't it?
NP Brucer and thanks, worked so good I bought 10 of them! :confused: :D

JP58, Those of us that put on after market slip-on pipes wanted to reduce the popping on deceleration. This hole puts fresh air into the exhaust to help burn unburnt fuel that go through the motor by giving it more oxygen. So blocking it off will help with the popping and not change anything else in your motor.

For those that buy the Thunder Air Kit, there is no hole in their plate and they give you a rubber cork for the air hose so I've heard. All I have now is slip-ons and after I get my Air Kit I might even use the well nut in the hose instead of their plug.
James

·
Registered
165 Posts
If the idea is to block off the air, i would think that any kind of tight plug in this air hose would work, as long as you get an air tight seal. or am i missing somthing here? Just asking?? Please advise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the idea is to block off the air, i would think that any kind of tight plug in this air hose would work, as long as you get an air tight seal. or am i missing somthing here? Just asking?? Please advise.
No, you are not missing anything. I used a large foam ear plug. Works great.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyway you can block off the hole would work, your not missing anything.

I just wanted something that fit tight. There is lots of vibration and I didn't want anything that might come loose and bounce around in the air box to get sucked up by the throttle bodies and go into the motor. And I didn't want to glue anything in permanent, so the well nut was perfect for what I wanted.
James

·
Registered
414 Posts
payment sent!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Replay what size is the plug, diameter and length?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts