Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of DG Hardchrome straight pipes on my 900 custom and now am looking for a new air filter. Looking at Barons , Ness , or Thunder. Anyone who has one, any pros or cons? Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just put a set of DG Hardchrome straight pipes on my 900 custom and now am looking for a new air filter. Looking at Barons , Ness , or Thunder. Anyone who has one, any pros or cons? Thanks
All three perform the same function, allow more air to pass. You will need a fuel processor or the bike is going to run too lean. There are several available from the plug and rides from Cobra and Powercommander ($$$$) to the easily adjustable (Dobek, Cobra, Bully) or some include downloadable maps. You can spend over $500 bucks before it's all said and done.

Once you have the pipes, air cleaner, and fuel processor tuned the bike is going to perform better. You can feel it "in the seat of the pants".

Drawbacks: cost $$$$$$
Additional noise: If you are into noise, you will be happy. The open aircleaners allow a bit more engine noise to come out. I prefer mine a bit more quiet so I sold the BAK and went back to my stock airbox with a K & N filter.

Good luck with your decision. Post some pics!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Asthma and Constipation

One of the main problems for the new bikes built these past few years is Asthma and Constipation.

I find it best to change out the mufflers and/or pipes and the air breather and/or air filter.

Went with the Corbra Tri-Oval slipons and the Thunder Tornado Air Kit with a K&N air filter on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am kicking that around. I am a tool and die maker, so I have the material and machinery to do it. Just need to find the time

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm a gunsmith by trade and have 3 lathes and 2 mills. But the airbox is common sense in any case. I did a how too article on it here. But don't know how to find it. It uses a Weber carb pan filter which costs 10 of the stock air filter price. Anyway you will be wanting to use the K&N version of that air filter

·
Registered
246 Posts
Btw if you look below and to the right of the spike you will see a rear master cylinder cover that I made. It looks much better than the stock item and only took about two hours to machine

·
Registered
782 Posts
I did my own air box and you can find the thread in the how-to section by searching for Dog Bowl. Mine is more for ease of use, than added horsepower. The dog bowl cover helps keep the rain out and the K&N filter is washable so no more $30 stock filters every 7000 miles. I like the one Slash did, but he is a very talented individual with really good tools. You can probably find his how-to by searching for posts in that section under his log-in name.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey there Jeep Pirate I see you live in NC my mate Fred lives there and just left South Africa after a months visit over here. I let use one of my Suzuki Intruders for the duration of his visit

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I've got the BAK, black, and only had two issues with it. One of the threaded holes on the backing plate was tapped out with the wrong pipe tap for the plastic fitting provided. The second issue is the black finish is an anodized coating and will turn brown after being out in the weather. Mine turned about a year after I installed it. I've had it powder coated since. If you go with the pipes, air filter & fuel manager, remove the secondary throttle plates and enjoy a bit more grunt coming off the line.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey there Jeep Pirate I see you live in NC my mate Fred lives there and just left South Africa after a months visit over here. I let use one of my Suzuki Intruders for the duration of his visit
Well it is a small world. I have a good friend who grew up in Swaziland and lived for many years in Jo'burg. Her father was a Baptist missionary over there. By the way, you are a really good buddy to let your pal ride one of your bikes for a few months. Most guys I know get pissy if you just sit on their bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts