Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 05 V2K all stock except for a set of cobra longs (great sounding pipes). I was doing a once over on the beast and noticed that the air filter is getting dirty. I'm wondering if I should stick with factory replacement or opt for the K&N replacement. Are the K&N's that much better? Any thoughts or experience? Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
filters

Choices , choices?? As long as its a good filter, & PROPERLY sealed, I dont think it matters much. I am not a K&N fan , as I have NOT been convinced that a filter that can flow MORE air, can trap MORE dirt??? I cant see how this is possible?
BUT, I CAN tell you that it takes 1 oz of dirt per 100cu in of engine , to TOTALLY ruin the engine!!! So , given your V2K , if your air filter allows 1.25 oz of dust through, your engine is TOAST!!! Thats a tiny amount !!! I have a 04 V2K which is an oil burner , becasue of an after market filter which leaked!!! NOT Happy!! THEE MOST important filter on any vehicle is the air filter and I cannot for the life of me , understand these big name builders who spend mega $ building a bike & then run a screened velocity stack on the intake!!
All that keeps out is birds & small animals!!! Those guys sbviously dont RIDE those bikes any distance , expecially in any dusty conditions!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Big Reyn.... Keep in mind if you drop the coin on an aftermarket filter or air kit.
Your dropping another few hundered bucks in a fuel management module.
So if you take the leap your comitting to both.

Sure you would save on money as the years go by in not spending the coin on the OEM replacement.
But that will be off-set by the cost of the fuel module. So there goes that reasoning.

I'm on the fence right now with that decision.
Can't really commit... Don't really need the extra hp/torque
Would be nice..... but not really needed
As for the large OEM housing. Ya, its big. But so is the whole bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air Filter

Thanks Rkd2.3 and ItsMePaul, I've been told that the V2K's displacement is big enough that it shouldn't need a tuner even with pipes and the K&N. I don't know how good that advice was as it came from the dealer. If anyone has ran this or a similar combo on their beast I would appreciate your experience. Don't need more hp or torque, just looking for more bang for my buck on the filter as I plan to keep the beast forever. Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Rkd2.3 and ItsMePaul, I've been told that the V2K's displacement is big enough that it shouldn't need a tuner even with pipes and the K&N. I don't know how good that advice was as it came from the dealer.
I never read that any where on the net . I'm not sure that is true.
Curiuos to read some feedback on that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This dealer sells power commanders and does custom mapping at a price of course. I'm wondering if it's just a sales pitch. That's why I turned to the forum, if it's been done hopefully I'll find the answer here on the forum. I understand that altitude has alot to do with how the beast will react. I'm in Central Va, hopefully someone close has tried a similar combo.

·
Registered
445 Posts
This dealer sells power commanders and does custom mapping at a price of course. I'm wondering if it's just a sales pitch. That's why I turned to the forum, if it's been done hopefully I'll find the answer here on the forum. I understand that altitude has alot to do with how the beast will react. I'm in Central Va, hopefully someone close has tried a similar combo.
Reading with intrest.

·
Registered
616 Posts
tuner???

Thanks Rkd2.3 and ItsMePaul, I've been told that the V2K's displacement is big enough that it shouldn't need a tuner even with pipes and the K&N. I don't know how good that advice was as it came from the dealer. If anyone has ran this or a similar combo on their beast I would appreciate your experience. Don't need more hp or torque, just looking for more bang for my buck on the filter as I plan to keep the beast forever. Thanks
BR, This could be a long disortation. A little preface, I am a Qualified Journeyman Diesel Tech {retired} so that may lend some creedance to what Im about to say. I am currently riding my 3rd VN2000, but my previous two are now ridden by my two sons.
I have run 2 V2K 's with pipes & air intake , with & without fuel modules. I did buy a Power Commander & used it for a year, , and the bike ran better without it. PC may ??? have increased HP/torque , but it came with some drivablility issues I didnt like. Pops & backfires on deceleration, & hot start problems.
On the dyno , it produced 108.6 hp & 143 ft/lbs torque which was impressive. Sorry, I have no dyno stats in the stock format to compare.
This was on my first V2K & It had a Thunder Big Air kit with K&N filter, 3.5 in ID DIY glass pac pipes This is the bike which suffered an ingestion of dust from a poorly sealed filter , so I returned it to stock air & its been running well since , Bike has 40K mi and it uses quart of oil in 600 mi.
MY second V2K has 3" Hard Krome straights & I put the Thunder Big Air on it & made sure that it sealed . This bike blew the temp sensor out of the filter housing, {presumably caused by a backfire} Luckily I caught it before it sucked much dust. I went back to stock air on it too.
I never installed a fuel module on this bike.. Here is the reason why , on BOTH bikes running with after market intake & exhaust , the pipes were still burning BLACK inside , NOT light brown , this to me indicated that neither were running lean at all!!
ON my Current V2K , an 08 , has pipes but stock intake & I would not be affraid to change the intake if I could find one that I trusted to seal properly!!! {once bitten, twice shy, 3 time is a strike out}
Should you choose to add pipes & intake to yours, I would not worry about a fuel module in the least , if your pipes are burning black inside, the engine CANNOT be running too lean!! If you are worried , have a friend ride it , you follow & watch the pipes when he cracks it wide open. There will be a burst of black smoke as the V2K reacts to wide open throttle. THAT is not a lean running engine!!!
IMHO , the purchase of a fuel module for the V2K is a waste of cash !!! two pals have modules on their V2K's & neither run any better , nor are any faster than mine! In fact , bike #2 is EXACT copy of a pals' same intake, pipes, same year & riders weigh the same, the ONLY diff is his Power Commander.
We have compared these two bike many times & neither can gain an inch on the other from 0 to 110mph these two bikes are EXACTLY side by side !! So there is a example of the worth of the fuel module!!! NONE!!!, Zip, Zero!
Save your fuel module cash, buy some other trinket with it, use it for a new tire, or?? take your wife to a weekend retreat?? THAT idea just may have the MOST value of all, for you!!! LOL
Hope this helps a little!
Remember , doesnt matter what you choose, just feed it CLEAN air!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
To all who read this, I cannot stress enough!!
YOUR AIR FILTER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FILTER !!!!!!
treat is as such!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rkd2.3, very helpful comparisons. With the information you shared I think I'll stick to the K&N OEM replacement filter at most. I've got the Cobra longs on the beast now and pipes are burning black with a musical exhaust note. (Thinking of putting in quiet baffles to keep my neighbors happy at 5 in the morning). I think I read on this forum that someone found it cheap on ebay. My wife would love your idea on how to spend the money saved on her.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can get a K&N filter to replace your stock filter and you do not need to do anything else, but I would suggest if you go to an aftermarket intake that you have something that adds fuel. I don't know why the VN2000 burns so black out the tail pipes but when you put it on the dyno, even stock it is running lean. Anyone who has thrown their V2K's on a dyno will find that out. I run stock exhaust, a Thunder Tornado intake and a PC3 and my bike runs just fine. I have had this configuration on 2 Vulcans now. A few bits of info though.... I played with the bottom end of the maps just for better bottom end transition, which most shops don't play with on the dyno. Another thing like someone previously mentioned. Some of these aftermarket intakes to my surprise do have leaks. Both my Thunder Tornados were not machined well on the mating surfaces and I caught that right away, where alot wouldn't. I dealt with it and there is no dust leaking in. I tried the Baron BAK on my V2K and never liked the way it run and last spring it didn't do very well on the Dyno. Last fall I put the Thunder Tornado on and had it put back on the Dyno and re-tuned. It was a totally different map and I love the way it runs now. It runs way better than it did stock mainly because the very lean condition at the bottome end of the throttle. You will lose some mileage but that is obvious when you richen the mixture to get it in the proper range. I put the PC3 on my V2k after the first few thousand miles long before I added the aftermarket intake on for a couple reasons. Tuning that bottom end transition and also so I can run Regular gas. Yes you heard it, I run 87 octane and have now for over 20000km and my previous vulcan (2006 Nomad) had almost 60000km on regular gas. Both were tuned on the Dyno with regular gas and if you have ever been there when they got your bike on the Dyno, it is running hot and they lug it right down, so if there was going to be any pre-ignition you would hear it while it was on the dyno. I once in a while put premium in it, but it doesn't seem to run as well. Anyway the Octane thing is a whole other discussion and opens up another can of worms and I probably have run way off the subject. Sorry....

·
Registered
864 Posts
In the Pic are 3 V2Ks ( included the pic incase anyone thought i was BSing ) 2 of them are running pipes ( H/C 2 into 1 ),Air intakes, K&N Filters and Power Comanders one has the new PC 5 the other one a PC 3 the one with the 3 on it mapped on a dyno the 5 is supposed to map itself constantly. One V2K IS completely stock , So 2 of the bikes have approx. a grand more in them, line em up say go and there isnt a foot of difference in them at the end. Usually the end is when one of us runs outa cohonies and slows down.. Also in the pic ( the smallest bike on the left ) is a buddies HD Screamin Eagle he eats alot of dust but we dont talk about it ok... Bulldozer, If i had that 1k back i coulda took both wives to a retreat,,,,,

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
In the Pic are 3 V2Ks ( included the pic incase anyone thought i was BSing ) 2 of them are running pipes ( H/C 2 into 1 ),Air intakes, K&N Filters and Power Comanders one has the new PC 5 the other one a PC 3 the one with the 3 on it mapped on a dyno the 5 is supposed to map itself constantly. One V2K IS completely stock , So 2 of the bikes have approx. a grand more in them, line em up say go and there isnt a foot of difference in them at the end. Usually the end is when one of us runs outa cohonies and slows down.. Also in the pic ( the smallest bike on the left ) is a buddies HD Screamin Eagle he eats alot of dust but we dont talk about it ok... Bulldozer, If i had that 1k back i coulda took both wives to a retreat,,,,,
I can concurr Dozers findings !!! noise, bling & fuel mods do little to change the V2K performance! It just doesnt need it!! So spend the 1k on gas & hotel rooms, on the road !!! LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts