Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am new here but not new to bikes or forums. Just picked up a 02 Classic. 12k Sat for years in a barn. Pulled the tank and cleaned. This is a single carb. So went ahead and pulled the carb and low speed jet and high speed jet were clogged. So cleaned that out. Went out and got a new gel battery. Assembled and the bike fired right up and runs really good.

So my question is whats up with the second air cleaner. The old owner told me its fake. But how could that be when there is a crossover tube. The tube is drawing unfiltered air. So should this have 2 air filters or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
There is no second air cleaner. The crossover tube does not draw unfiltered air unless someone reinstalled it incorrectly. The air comes from a box under the tank into the left side filter mount, through the filter, through the crossover tube and into the carb on the right. It is to increase the air velocity into the carb in order to improve low end torque. These bikes come from the factory with fuel, air and exhaust all a bit on the lean side to meet EPA standard while striking a balance between performance and fuel efficiency. If you replace the jets, pipes and air filter with a hi-flow, you can get rid of it. My Baron's kit bolts right to the carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to doubt you. But with the filter installed the filter goes around the carb opening and around the crossover tube. So the air that comes in from the tube is coming in the inside of the filter. So looking at the airfilter base. You have the carb inlet at the very top and the tube just under that. The filter goes around just about the whole base. This leaves the tube inside the filter and it goes right into the carb bypassing the filter. I am missing something. Maybe the wrong filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no second air cleaner. The crossover tube does not draw unfiltered air unless someone reinstalled it incorrectly. The air comes from a box under the tank into the left side filter mount, through the filter, through the crossover tube and into the carb on the right. It is to increase the air velocity into the carb in order to improve low end torque. These bikes come from the factory with fuel, air and exhaust all a bit on the lean side to meet EPA standard while striking a balance between performance and fuel efficiency. If you replace the jets, pipes and air filter with a hi-flow, you can get rid of it. My Baron's kit bolts right to the carb.
Thanks Patrick. I got it fixed. The guy I got it from gave me the wrong filter element. Filter was too big and covered both ports. The new one covers just the lower port. :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts