Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The KN filter for the 900 boasts more air flow that the stock. Its also about twice as much money. Is the KN filter really worth the extra change?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well It'll pay for itself after one 'change' basically. It comes down to how long you expect to keep the bike. A cleanable air filter will pay for itself. In my neck of the woods, there was not a significant price difference between the K&N and the OEM. Shop around you can find them online for less then 'list' price.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The value in the filter is not in any possible increased air flow, it's in the cleanable/reusable attributes. It will pay for itself many times over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

The ad pointed out increased horsepower and acceleration. Was just wondering if that part was on the up and up. Reuse is an OK benefit too, but more interested in the performance side.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I saw on the Victory forum, maybe cross country/cross roads, that somebody was asking about the K&N filters. If I remember correctly somebody from Amsoil did a study on these filters. The main points I remember was that something has to be sacrificed, if more air is getting in, more dirt is to. He did some oil analysis on his bike and found increased levels of something in the oil. Maybe it was Bob the Amsoil guy or somebody else from Amsoil will chime in and repeat it here on this forum.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Around here, OEM is $35. Bought mine direct from K&N for $53, with free shipping. Bought mine just last week, and it arrived in three days.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I've changed mine to the K&N simply because it is cleanable and reusable. I have changed my original at 10,000 miles (factory spec) and wow, was it dirty. So the next change at 18,000 I jumped at the K&N so that at the next change, (around 26-28000) it pays for itself, as I already had the cleaning kit from another air filter use. Kind of a no-brainer....you pay a little more in the beginning, but come out much better on the back end, especially since I expect to be a 100,000 miler with this bike......

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you choose the stock filter I'd suggest that you remove the metal screen on the face of the filter. It only restricts the air flow and robs the engine of power. I was amazed at the boost in torque from such a simple modification.

If the filter gets dirty quickly in your area it is definitely worth going with a cleanable type. I went even further and installed the Baron Big Air Kit. The added benefit is a different, more throaty sound without changing pipes!

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Basically any air filter using some form of oil in the design is good.I have used K&N in building Hi Perf VW engines and racing them.The name says it all.The important consideration is trapping air particles much as possible than air flow.I am now using the K&N filter, a big diff in my VN 900.Would Recommend it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tidbit

Just found out from the corporate tech center that Amsoil does not have an air filter for the VN900. Being an Ams guy, not the news I wanted to hear. Guess I'm going with K&N.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
To my knowledge, K&N is the only company currently producing an aftermarket air filter for the 900.

I'd really like to see Uni Filter throw one into the mix. I contacted a rep for them in '09 and was told that they were going to have one in the spring of '10... still waiting. : (

·
Registered
616 Posts
air filter

I hate to be a nag, but I cannot stress this enough . The air filter is the MOST IMPORTANT filter on ANY engine!
It takes only ONE oz of dust per 100 cubic inches of engine displacement, getting through the filter, to completely wear the engine beyoind acceptible limits!!
Consider this example: a new 1700 Vaquero, if that bike injests ONE once of road dust over its engine life , if ONE oz of dust gets though the filter ITS SCREWED !!! END OF THE ENGINES LIFE !!!!! ONE OUNCE!!! thats all it takes on a 100 CI engine!!!
I need someone to explain to me how ANY airfilter that boasts increased air flow , can also trap more dirt !!!
I have run K&N filters in the past but NOT any more! Im not going to print any litigious statements. but I cannot be convinced that LONGEVITY of the engine accompanies a racing filter design.

Run whatever you choose?? But to clarify MY point , I have seem{with my own eyes} an 855 ci diesel ruined on a test dyno in 15min by injesting 8oz of dust into its intake . the Dust , had been 'tapped" out of a number of airfilters and collected , weighed & injected into a NEW sacrificial 855 diesel engine, air intake !!!
Your choice folks?? But Im going to go with a filter that focuses upon MAX filtration , rather then max air flow. I cannot see how you can acheive both in the same filter!!
BTW, I have a Qualified Journeyman Diesel ticket , with 40+yrs exp , to add some small creedance to this statement!
For those of you who have used high perf filters , give your throttle bodies, carb throats, the WHITE glove test !!!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just put on a k&n replacement filter with cobra pipe and it preforms better, but i couldn't really tell a big gain of power! I only had it out for about 30 miles do to cold weather. I like it just for the fact that it's the last one i'll have to buy for a long time and the money i save can go for other mods.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I hate to be a nag, but I cannot stress this enough . The air filter is the MOST IMPORTANT filter on ANY engine!
It takes only ONE oz of dust per 100 cubic inches of engine displacement, getting through the filter, to completely wear the engine beyoind acceptible limits!!
Consider this example: a new 1700 Vaquero, if that bike injests ONE once of road dust over its engine life , if ONE oz of dust gets though the filter ITS SCREWED !!! END OF THE ENGINES LIFE !!!!! ONE OUNCE!!! thats all it takes on a 100 CI engine!!!
I need someone to explain to me how ANY airfilter that boasts increased air flow , can also trap more dirt !!!
I have run K&N filters in the past but NOT any more! Im not going to print any litigious statements. but I cannot be convinced that LONGEVITY of the engine accompanies a racing filter design.

Run whatever you choose?? But to clarify MY point , I have seem{with my own eyes} an 855 ci diesel ruined on a test dyno in 15min by injesting 8oz of dust into its intake . the Dust , had been 'tapped" out of a number of airfilters and collected , weighed & injected into a NEW sacrificial 855 diesel engine, air intake !!!
Your choice folks?? But Im going to go with a filter that focuses upon MAX filtration , rather then max air flow. I cannot see how you can acheive both in the same filter!!
BTW, I have a Qualified Journeyman Diesel ticket , with 40+yrs exp , to add some small creedance to this statement!
For those of you who have used high perf filters , give your throttle bodies, carb throats, the WHITE glove test !!!!!
You have very good point and i never look at it that way as i am still just learning, but i'm just wondering how much more air flow are you really getting out of the k&n vs. the OEM filter with a sealed air cover?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am sure we're on the same page here, but if you increase surface area of your filter it will flow more air and trap the same amount of dirt if the filter media is the same. Change the filter media to a smaller pore and it'd trap more dirt at the cost of some flow. You could then again up the surface area.

Anyway, IMHO, the guys that are doing it right are taking a 8 inch diameter aftermarket automotive filter and making their own adapter. Most, imo, mistakenly put in a K & N filter when they should have remained with a quality paper filter. Same filtering ability with less restrictive flow due to the dramatically increased surface area.

rick

1 - 20 of 35 Posts