Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have 3 questions:

1) I decided to check my air filter today and when I took off the chrome cover oil came out from behind the element? Is this Bad???

2) When I was looking at a website the was showing schematics of the whole air filter unit it shows that there should be a rubberized seal the goes on either said of the filter element. My bike does not have that, should it?

3) When I tried and I mean tried to take the filter element off the phillips head screw that holds the element in place would not budge and you guessed it, I stripped the head. How can I get this off now?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
1. Some oil coming out of the intake cover when you remove it is normal since the breather hose is attached to the back. If you're getting a LOT, check your oil level to make sure you're not overfilled (oil should show BETWEEN the lines on the sight glass).

2. Don't have an answer for you on that one. I say if the bike is running OK don't sweat it. If it bothers you, then see if you can order one up.

3. Welcome to the wonderful world of Kawasaki 900 air filters. I never replaced the filter in mine, but I did try to remove the filter element for some reason. While I didn't strip out the screw head, neither could I budge it. Whoever installs those things at the factory needs to back off the Red Bull just a bit. You're not the first to do that and you probably won't be the last. You may have to use a small Easy Out to remove. If you don't want to try it yourself, a trip to the dealer may be the best recourse.

·
Registered
719 Posts
1. Normal due to poor design. Go to an auto store and get one of the small air breathers ($8) and a rubber cap (3/8"? I can remember) for the nipple on the air box. Cut tube of air box, install breather, swing (hose clamp is on rear cylinder at bottom - easy access) the rig up under the fuel tank, install cap on air box. By swinging the breather up under the tank any blow-by oil will drain back into the crankcase...after a high speed run you can the blow-by but it normal.

2. Mine didn't come with a gasket either.

3. If there's anything left of the screw head you can try a hand impact to shock it loose. Two other options: drill and easy-out; or, break the plastic housing apart and grab the screw with vise grips.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
One other possibility is to get a new screw first, then use a dremel to make a deep slot on the head of the screw and try using a big slot screwdriver to break it loose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked my oil level today and it is good. It's just below the top line. So the oil is still a mystery.

I finally got the air filter off (Gotta love Vice-Grips) and I do have the rubber seals (They were hidden really well). A new air filter comes with one of the seals & the screw (somebody got smart and the screw is now a hex and not the phillips or Japanese version that comes with the stock filter).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts