Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you take off the air intake cover (chrome piece that has 900 on it), under that you see the air filter which is attacked to this large plastic frame. That frame is held by a single screw at the top. The screw is down inside a hole in the plastic frame and is a phillips head screw.

Unfortunately, I think the folks at Kawasaki put it on with locktite and I can't get it out.:mad: They used socket head cap screws everywhere else, but this one is a phillips. The head is now totally stripped and I need advice on how to remove it. My only thoughts so far are either using a back-out tool or maybe destroying the filter frame so I can get in there with a pair of vice-grips to grab the sides of the head. I am a little afraid of option 2 per I don't know where to get a new filter, but I have never had much luck with back-outs. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
One thing I have had success with is to use a dremel to make a deep slot on the head of the screw so you can use a beefy regular screwdriver to get at it. Good luck, been there, done that!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Get a good set of easy outs (BACK OUTS)? Burnish the head, flip easy out around and screw out. The key is to buy a good set of easy outs. Canadian Tire or Sears will have them. They have never failed me. The dremel is a great idea, but, space restrictions might prevent you from getting the cutting disc in there to make the slot. Just remember, the "easy out" has an opposite thread, so, you just insert and keep your drill running clockwise. It will bite and turn the damaged screw out as if you were tightening it! One further tip, after removing said screw, replace it will an allen bolt, in case you gotta go there again!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did the dremmel tool thing myself. Next I'm going to cut out the OEM element and replace it with a K&N one. To get the Dremel in to cut the slot on the screw, I cut off the plastic part sticking out around the screw. I couldn't see where it had any function. I used a regular screw with a washer to reattach the filter (but your local dealer can order you a new screw for about $3.00).

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
BTW, Jeep, I missed buying an 02 Sabre by hours. I was so disgusted I went out and bought a brand new 900. How do you like the Sabre? The factory flames/paintjob is sweet.

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
BTW, Jeep, I missed buying an 02 Sabre by hours. I was so disgusted I went out and bought a brand new 900. How do you like the Sabre? The factory flames/paintjob is sweet.
I think you meant me vs Jeep. I've had my Sabre a long time now and have way too much time and funds stuck in it to part with it. :D I ride it when I ride with my son on his Yamaha R6 as it can keep up with him and apparently it is cool enough to ride beside his rocket! :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think you meant me vs Jeep. I've had my Sabre a long time now and have way too much time and funds stuck in it to part with it. :D I ride it when I ride with my son on his Yamaha R6 as it can keep up with him and apparently it is cool enough to ride beside his rocket! :)
Apologies MN-Nomad, thanks for the reply. The Sabre is a sweet ride! (I looked at your pics).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought an air filter from bike bandit and it came with a new screw and gasket so I guess they must expect ya to mess up the screw. BTW, the biggest issue is the use of the wrong phillips head screw driver. Believe it or not even though its hard to tell, standard PH screwdriver won't engage the screw correctly. Sears sells a set that is japanese compatible. Grinding the point down on an american one works well also ;-)) as well as an impact driver. Which back in the 70's (Dating myself now) was a tool you couldn't live without as all screws were phillips on the Japanese bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts