Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike will turn over but won't start so I'm checking multiple things. I took out the air filter but am wondering if its missing a part.

There are two photos below.

On the left is a photo of what came out of my bike (the one in color).

On the right is a photo is from the manual which refers to the "air cleaner element" in the top of the photo, then it refers to the "sponge gasket, the plastic holders and wire screen". But... that seems to be all I have.

So am I missing the "air cleaner element"?

Also, people have talked about cleaning the element then soaking it in oil. Can someone explain that to me given the parts that I have (or need to go get)?

Thanks!
Sultan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yep, you're missing a foam piece that should be sandwiched between the screen and the plastic grid over it.
There are some pictures here:
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/50-vulcan-500/259074-air-filter.html

I don't think the foam is sold separately, but you can replace the whole thing using Kawasaki part number 11013-1250 for about $30 or the K&N version KA-5096 for $62.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
For what it's worth, it's probably a generic type of foam used for filtering air. If you could source the material, you can probably just cut a piece to fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For what it's worth, it's probably a generic type of foam used for filtering air. If you could source the material, you can probably just cut a piece to fit.
You can go to Walmart, in the cloth dept. and get a 2' X 2' 1/2 inch sheet of foam. Cut it to fit the item that you have. and soak it on motor oil, and the squeeze, most of the oil out. It should have just a light film of oil on it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You can go to Walmart, in the cloth dept. and get a 2' X 2' 1/2 inch sheet of foam. Cut it to fit the item that you have. and soak it on motor oil, and the squeeze, most of the oil out. It should have just a light film of oil on it.
1/2" would be too thick for this application. Do they stock thinner options as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts