Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, got a 1996 Vulcan 1500 classic, I just modified my air cleaner set up a little bit and I'm not getting the same performance that I had before I modified it. I am not sure if I am getting to much or to little air now. The hole inside the back of the mounting plate is a little larger than it was but its the same filter and the same piece that is mounting it to the carb. It starts up and sounds great at idol, I give it the throttle in neutral and it acts normal but going down the road it performs terribly. When the rpm's get up a little bit or I get on the throttle it bogs down. I can get it into 3rd shifting at low rpm and can only get about 40mph before she starts becoming unresponsive. The only thing I changed was my air cleaner backing plate so I am pretty sure the amount of air is my problem. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
New Member Lotman

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Aside from the mod you made, is the bike stock? These bikes are already lean from the factory to meet EPA guidelines for emissions. I have never been a fan of changing the air of fuel or pipes alone; I prefer to do them all at once, because they all work together. Sounds like you need more fuel at the top end.

That is not to say, however, that you may not have inadvertently bumped or disconnected something else when you were messing with it.

Just curious, what made you decide you needed more air flow? Was it not running well?

How many miles on the bike?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts