Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Where is a good place to buy air filters for a decent price, for a 900 classic LT?
I went to a K&N due to the fact that it is not a throw away item .... anywhere from $59 to $65 and it can be cleaned and reused.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you're thinking about a K&N air filter, you might try contacting the forum sponsor Rider's Discount for a quote. I ordered mine through them about 3 -4 months ago and theirs was the best price I could find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered K&N for my '09 Custom from AJUSA.com and it was $37.77. Never heard of the site, but no complaints.

·
Registered
782 Posts
1 - The stock filter is a rip-off. It usually cost $35 about everywhere and has to be changed every oil change.

2 - The K&N is a good option and even if you pay full price (about $70) it will pay for itself soon.

3 - There is always the home-made option. If you search in the How-To section for dog bowl air filter, you should find a write up I did on a low cost air filter kit that you can make yourself. I ended up spending about the same as getting a K&N, but mines has better air flow since the air doesn't have to follow that convoluted stock airbox path.

Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I found k&n air filters on ebay for $42 shipped.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with Rtsitler, just saw them on ebay for that price. I have had a K&N on my bike for almost a year and couldn't be more satisfied. I think the kit to clean and reoil the filter funs about $15 at any local auto parts store.

·
Banned
334 Posts
1 - The stock filter is a rip-off. It usually cost $35 about everywhere and has to be changed every oil change.
Why would you need to do that? My owner's manual says 12000 miles between air cleaner changes.

Joe

·
Registered
782 Posts
Why would you need to do that? My owner's manual says 12000 miles between air cleaner changes.

Joe
1 - I put about 10,000 miles on in a year. So I am still forking out $35+ every year.
2 - At 7000 miles (my first personal oil change) my stock filter was pure black and caked with road grime. There is a lot of air coming through a pretty small filter area. It gets dirty fast. You may could blow it out and get 12000 out of it, but I felt that it needed changing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you're thinking about a K&N air filter, you might try contacting the forum sponsor Rider's Discount for a quote. I ordered mine through them about 3 -4 months ago and theirs was the best price I could find.
How much was the best price you could find?

Every oil change? specs are like way longer then that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just bought a K&N from Amazon for $36.00. Free shipping!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just installed a BAK
When I opened the stock air I had a bit of oil leak out onto my bike. Is that normal?
They say the BAK filter should last 100,000 miles on the baron website not sure if that's true either.

Sent by Lordz of Fire!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just installed a BAK
When I opened the stock air I had a bit of oil leak out onto my bike. Is that normal?
They say the BAK filter should last 100,000 miles on the baron website not sure if that's true either.

Sent by Lordz of Fire!
The oil in the stock air box is normal. It comes from the crank case vent which is piped into the stock box. Sometimes you get quite a bit of oil and it can be a mess. Some people, including me, have redirected the crankcase vent. I bought a little $10 breather, some fittings and some fuel hose from Auto Zone. I ran the hose over the rear jug and down the frame under the bike. I just held everything in place with some black zip ties. It works great and keeps the oil of of my airbox.

The BAK filter probably should last 100,000 miles, but you will have to clean it from time to time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If anyone is interested I have a brand new K&N for the 900 which I bought shortly before I had an accident with my bike and it was totaled :(

Never been installed. I'll let it go for $35.00 shipped via US Mail.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts