Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed the silver coating on my air filter cover is lifting in areas. At first I only noticed it at the bottom where some oil had pooled inside the cover, now I can see it’s happening at the top left of the cover as well.

I’ve looked on Ali Express and eBay, but no luck so far, I assume it would be awfully expensive from Kawasaki. Is there anyone with suggestions on how to rechrome it, somewhere to buy a replacement, or with one to sell after upgrading their air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You can get a new OEM replacement here for $95

Or you can check Ebay. A lot of people put a big air kit on their bike and sell the entire airbox. I saw those from about $50 to $80.

Either way, it's not cheap. If it's bad enough, you might consider doing a little 'body work' on it and using plasti-dip to black it out. Search the 900 forum and you should find some pics of this option.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've seen the chrome on various chromed plastic parts from Kaw bubble, I have a tail lamp unit that did the same.
Scan ebay, you can find them reasonable, don't buy new

·
Registered
972 Posts
Interesting that this was brought up. I'm experiencing the same thing. Just the other day when I was changing the oil, I first noticed this on the chromed air filter cover. On closer inspection, it showed a crack on the backside, that was aligned with the bubbling of the chrome on the front side. Looks like the crack caused this. It does cost about $95 dollars to get a new one, which I haven't done yet.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah, in 2018 I noticed it on the plastic chrome engine cover over the alternator. That was on my 07 Custom. It's my son's bike now and it isn't bad enough that he's considered doing anything about it. I was tempted to see if I could squirt a little super glue in there, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I'd probably glue my finger to the piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts