Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my 2014 I did some checks on it and once I removed the air filter cover, I was surprised to see it was half full of debris...So I took it out cleaned it by giving a light blast of air. Ordered a new one and installed it Friday when we got home from our ride.

But what was shocking was the amount of fine debris that was in the old filter after I cleaned it out. So may be a good idea to clean it out our filters every 750-1000 miles?

BTW I have the stock air filter in it and it was doing its job, the air box behind it was nice and clean.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner never cleaned it. :surprise:

How often you need to clean it depends on your driving conditions. Check it after 1000 or 1500 of your typical miles and see how dirty it is. You may find that every oil change is sufficient or you may need to clean it more often.

You might consider getting a K&N reusable filter. You clean them with a detergent solution and then oil them. They sell the detergent and oil separately and in a kit. A kit will last a long time. The oil allows for more efficient dirt collection while allowing a higher volume of air to pass. You might also consider upgrading to a BAK. That would require either an Ivan flash of the ECU or a fuel controller or else the bike will run way too lean. Even switching to a K&N with the stock air cleaner might make it run too lean.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sabre-T.

I just had Ivan flash it and checked off the stock air filter on the form, so I'll stay with it and check it more often as you suggested. I sent the sales guy at the Honda/Kawasaki dealer where I bought the bike and he said next filter is on them, I told them I'll be down to pick it up next Saturday so order it.

I had a K&N on my Honda Shadow 1100 I wasn't sure if in the end it was worth it once you add up the cost of everything. I can buy 4 stock air filters for the cost of a K&N, the cleaner, oil, and waiting for it to dry. It was a toss up for me and with my 15% discount at the dealer, hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
As a 42+ year m/c technician I can say K&N type filters do NOT need their maintenance kit.

The method I have used for years is: first,lightly banging the filter to loosen the big stuff filling a tub with very soapy (I use dish detergent) water and allowing the filter to sit overnite completely submerged. I then use a very soft bristle brush to scrub and clean the element while in the soapy water. Once I have verified the filter is clean it is then thoroughly rinsed out with water and place in front of a desk fan to dry. Once dry then I re-oil it with the K&N oil, so the only thing needed to buy is the filter oil. We all have dish soap don't we???

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
As a 42+ year m/c technician I can say K&N type filters do NOT need their maintenance kit.

The method I have used for years is: first,lightly banging the filter to loosen the big stuff filling a tub with very soapy (I use dish detergent) water and allowing the filter to sit overnite completely submerged. I then use a very soft bristle brush to scrub and clean the element while in the soapy water. Once I have verified the filter is clean it is then thoroughly rinsed out with water and place in front of a desk fan to dry. Once dry then I re-oil it with the K&N oil, so the only thing needed to buy is the filter oil. We all have dish soap don't we???

RACNRAY
Wasn't sure how well regular dish washing liquid would work and haven't tried as I still have the detergent from a kit I bought years ago. It really doesn't take much and a bottle will last a long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The OEM paper filters can be washed an reused - no need to replace unless they're really fouled and can't be cleaned (or falling apart from cleaning too many times).
I would be concerned that the fibres in the filter would expand when wet, and might reduce the flow of air even after the filter dries.
I don't know if this is the case, just asking the question.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would be concerned that the fibres in the filter would expand when wet, and might reduce the flow of air even after the filter dries.
I don't know if this is the case, just asking the question.
I've been washing OEM paper filters for years, never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Pray tell where can I get the oil filter oil? How is it different from regular motor oil?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Pray tell where can I get the oil filter oil? How is it different from regular motor oil?
Motor oil is too thick and would restrict air flow. K&N oil is basically mineral oil, like you buy at the pharmacy, but with naphtha added to thin it so it can be applied easier and get complete coverage. The naphtha the evaporates leaving just the thicker mineral oil. You could probably make your own with mineral oil (60% - 80%?)and lighter fluid (20% - 40%?), but, unless you had some way of coloring it, you would not be able to see if you had complete coverage. Dunking the filter in the mixture and letting it drain is not a good idea as too much oil would be left on the filter, unless you have a filter that you can squeeze the excess out of.

Oh yeah, you can possibly get the oil at Walmart or even some automotive stores. Motor cycle stores or service centers may have it. Or you can get it on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Actually, I don't know why I asked the question as you can get it on e-bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts