Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my stock air filter for the BAK..long story short I have little drops of oil that come out every now and then......from what I heard the discharge is normal but I dont want to have to wipe off my bike every tme I ride it.....could someone please help????

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's not unusual to get a few drips when the weather is really hot even when oil is properly applied. Clean the filter and use less oil if the problem is too bad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your stock air filter has a oil trap (bulb at in back at bottom of filter) that kawasaki doesn't say anything about in the operators manual. It is common to get alittle oil mist carryover from this crankcase ventilation. If BAK connects this breather hose up without a trap, I would expect that you would see oil dripping out once and a while. I would add a tee in back and make your own drip leg. You would just need to empty this drip leg once in a while otherwise it will end up coming out your filter again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice...I'll keep you posted on how it works out...for $250 dollars I wish BAK would have created a solution with the product...from what Im hearing this is normal....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im not very handy...is this something I could easily do?
I think I read in some older post about people putting a small separate filter on the crankcase ventilation line instead of into air intake/filter. If you do this, there is still the original problem of where the oil mist goes. It will leak from where ever you put this line unless there is a low point trap for the oil. DO NOT plug this line off, this line is for keeping the crankcase at atmospheric pressure. The pistons will always have some blow-by on the compression stroke, this is what vents that pressure away to avoid pressuring the crankcase and potentially blowing out some seals someplace. The EPA requires this vent to go back to the combustion chamber to burn off any excess hydrocarbon, that's why it goes back to the air intake. I am not the environmental police, I am just telling you this for your basic knowledge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I read in some older post about people putting a small separate filter on the crankcase ventilation line instead of into air intake/filter. If you do this, there is still the original problem of where the oil mist goes. It will leak from where ever you put this line unless there is a low point trap for the oil. DO NOT plug this line off, this line is for keeping the crankcase at atmospheric pressure. The pistons will always have some blow-by on the compression stroke, this is what vents that pressure away to avoid pressuring the crankcase and potentially blowing out some seals someplace. The EPA requires this vent to go back to the combustion chamber to burn off any excess hydrocarbon, that's why it goes back to the air intake. I am not the environmental police, I am just telling you this for your basic knowledge.
thanks Im going to see if I can get someone to help me with this one..

·
Registered
719 Posts
Relocation of the breather is simple and under $10. Get a small breather from the local auto store ($8). Pull of coil cover on left side of the bike. Breather hose is now right in front of you. Swing the hose upward to fit under the fuel tank out of the weather with the filter attached. You'll probably need to trim a little length off the hose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Relocation of the breather is simple and under $10. Get a small breather from the local auto store ($8). Pull of coil cover on left side of the bike. Breather hose is now right in front of you. Swing the hose upward to fit under the fuel tank out of the weather with the filter attached. You'll probably need to trim a little length off the hose.
definitely lookin into this...sounds like a nice easy fix.....thank for the advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts