Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMHO, pain to fill up my tires at the gas station before a ride. Looking to get a portable air compressor strictly for toping off motorcycle and car tires at home. Only needs to top off at 36-38 psi. Saw a 2 gallon that seems would work. Any suggestions on size horsepower etc?
Would hate to waste money on trial and error so any input from the folks out there would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the Black and Decker AS1300 Air Compressor. It's light, small, can run on a 120 or 12V, and has a built-in back-lit pressure gauge that will shut the machine off when it reaches the desired pressure. It has all of the attachments for other inflatables, such as balls and swimming stuff and it all fits in the compact case. For under $50 I am very pleased. If I had saddlebags and a 12V accessory, I could easily carry it on my bike.

Here's an Amazon link that has reviews, pictures, and "see it in action" videos. I got mine at Lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ASI300-Station-Inflator/dp/B000IE0YIQ

The downsides for me: The 120V cord is absurdly short, so an extension cord is necessary. The 12V cord is long, or at least long enough for a bike. The pressure gauge is about 3 lbs. off, but no big deal. I just compensate. It can take a minute or two to go from 33 to 36 pounds...but I'm never in a real hurry when airing up tires, especially since it automatically shuts off.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the Black and Decker AS1300 Air Compressor. It's light, small, can run on a 120 or 12V, and has a built-in back-lit pressure gauge that will shut the machine off when it reaches the desired pressure. It has all of the attachments for other inflatables, such as balls and swimming stuff and it all fits in the compact case. For under $50 I am very pleased. If I had saddlebags and a 12V accessory, I could easily carry it on my bike.

Here's an Amazon link that has reviews, pictures, and "see it in action" videos. I got mine at Lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ASI300-Station-Inflator/dp/B000IE0YIQ

The downsides for me: The 120V cord is absurdly short, so an extension cord is necessary. The 12V cord is long, or at least long enough for a bike. The pressure gauge is about 3 lbs. off, but no big deal. I just compensate. It can take a minute or two to go from 33 to 36 pounds...but I'm never in a real hurry when airing up tires, especially since it automatically shuts off.
I actually bought that sometime ago and never got it to work. For me, it would always shut off no matter where I put the meter. Either defective or most likely operator error! I'll give it another try before shelling out more $$$$. Thanks for the input though. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
For tires I use a 20-gal portable air tank. I have a large air compressor for impact tools and the little ones that plug in to a car outlet. Both are a pain for just filling tires. The 20-gal tank lasts several months even when doing 4 cars, boat trailer, and bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I carry a decent one in my saddlebags when i leave town, it plugs into a standard 12volt fitting that i machined in the six gun cruiser style which is bolted onto my handle bars

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My luck with the small portables thru the years has not been all that good... if you have room to put a larger one somewhere and go with the tank like Baitis suggest you will be far better off in my opinion... plus the big compressor will always be there when and if you need a larger amount of air for tools and the likes.

I myself have a 5hp. in my shop, and a old freon tank converted to a portable tank (the newer ones will not allow you to do this as the have check valves in them)... I also use a small regulator on the portable tank to set predetermined air settings for things like air shocks... tires, well it is just too easy to let a little out if you go over a tad. Then on the bike I had a small manual bike air pump that came in handy more than once, and stowed in a very small area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts