Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed on here before but is there any cheap replacements for just the cover. I don't have the money for a whole kit to change the whole system yet. I just wanna get rid of the cover that says 900 on it and replace it with something cool not the one on ebay that says Live Free Ride Free or whatever it says. I like being able to suprise people when they ask what size my bike is. Please help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it a sticker on the 900 cover? I have a 800 and it was a sticker on the cover. Just peel it off. Cheap and easy.:D The picture attached still had it on though.
Cheers Binner :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought this little reflective decal that says "In Gods Hands". It just fits over the 900 perfect.....got an American Flag too, but went with this one. Got it from purpleharley.com..... great quality stuff....and he has a nice selection. Also took off the badges and put a nice pinstripe decal from them also. Had one on my old bike for 6 years and it looked just like new when I sold it. Check out the site.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ud - I ordered the cover from the local HD dealer but you can get online. The slotted cover is a two-piece, you can see the screws in the pix. There's black backing plate behind the slots to make it look functional. Drill a hole in the center of the OEM cover and tighten the bolt - use Locktite. Very simple install - don't know exactly how long it took cuz I relocated the air inlet at the same time. Mines been on the bike for two years and still looks perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ud - I ordered the cover from the local HD dealer but you can get online. The slotted cover is a two-piece, you can see the screws in the pix. There's black backing plate behind the slots to make it look functional. Drill a hole in the center of the OEM cover and tighten the bolt - use Locktite. Very simple install - don't know exactly how long it took cuz I relocated the air inlet at the same time. Mines been on the bike for two years and still looks perfect.
Thanks for the info. I just like the looks of that better than anything I've seen and so far I don't really need the new air kit. I like the fuel mileage like it is and have as much power as I need right now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Do you happen to know the product # or size? Last time I looked they had two different ones. Tks

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ud - I replace the stock filter element with 60ppi Unifoam and added the Cobra Fi2000r. I still get 50mpg on the highway.

Class - I don't recall the part number and don't keep receipts. Between the bike and boat I'd be in trouble if the wife found receipts. Just measure over the stock emblem for the size (I didn't know there was more than one size). I tried to search but the company has recently blocked a lot sites on my computer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^^^Tks for the info. I'm still debating on keeping the BAK. If I decide to sell it I would like to do something like this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ud - I replace the stock filter element with 60ppi Unifoam and added the Cobra Fi2000r. I still get 50mpg on the highway.
Where do you find this 60ppi foam and what thickness is it? I'm assuming you buy sheets and cut it to fit. Also are you not running stock pipes? I didn't think you needed a Fuel processor unless you changed pipes and air kit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
UD, "air kit" is a marketing tool. Anything that changes air flow characteristics can be defined as an "air kit". I got the sheet foam and oil here:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Uni-Filter-UNI-FILTER-FOAM-SHEET-BLACK-FINE-FILTE-p/tr14-9867.htm

I think I have the 14-9860 and 14-9867.

The metal screen on the OEM filter blocks a significant amount air. Uni Foam flow compared to K&N I would think is about the same. Some crude tests I did at home showed no difference in flow between the two materials. I used stuff laying around in the garage to make a gage so that the foam wouldn't get sucked into the throttle body. Other people have glued K&N material to the stock housing. I never got around to making it look pretty cuz boating season got in the way of tinkering with the bike. Now other projects have taken over but it's no big deal since I can't see the filter anyway. The pix is the 40ppi that I started with, now has the 60ppi installed.

I bought the fuel processor cuz I wasn't going to risk running lean with a new bike - it only had 300 miles on it. The foam filter and debaffled pipes seem to be working good. The debaffled pipes actually flow good - that's one thing KAW did right. One thing I'm bad at is keeping track of the Fi2000 settings when temps change a bunch. On Saturday the mid-range was flat when we had a warm up, tweaked the Fi to 4-2-1 (I think that's also the recommended setting) and it made a huge difference. I can't quantify the effects of relocating the air inlet to the front of the cover. I was going to measure the temp inside the housing, stock and relo, but got lazy since I wasn't going to change it back anyway. The stock opening between the cylinders has been covered.
Around town I get 43-45mpg and the best I've gotten on long highway trips is 52mpg. Mpg dropped to 48-49 when travelling over 75mph for several hours straight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts