Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What change in performance would be experienced by running without the air chamber (air box) vs running with it? PO forgot to include it when I purchased the Classic 800. Although bike starts right up and idles, it seems very sluggish. Would running without the air chamber have anything to do with that? (PO is mailing the air chamber to me.) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
stock backing plate, stock paper filter and chrome cover?

·
Registered
507 Posts
What change in performance would be experienced by running without the air chamber (air box) vs running with it? PO forgot to include it when I purchased the Classic 800. Although bike starts right up and idles, it seems very sluggish. Would running without the air chamber have anything to do with that? (PO is mailing the air chamber to me.) Thanks.
Air boxes are designed to be resonant chambers.

Resonance is a state of minimum resistance to flow -- whether we're talking about air, water, sound waves, or even electricity. So by serving as a resonant chamber, the air box drastically reduces the resistance to air flow into the engine. Indeed, if everything's timed out right, it acts something like a (small ...) (very small ....) turbocharger, actually raising the air pressure at the intake at the moment the intake opens.

All that adds up to, yes, that missing air box could at least be contributing to sluggish performance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock backing plate, stock paper filter and chrome cover?
Yes to all the above. Bike is stock, just no air chamber.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would give the carb a look over before you install the air chamber under the tank. The jets could have been changed, or the carb could need a good clean. Removing the tank and air chamber is like half way to having the carb off, so might as well do it now.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
after-market air boxes for the 800 are hard to find, and thunder mfg in AZ who sold 800 air boxes went out of business

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the carb when I adjusted the valves. Carb has correct jetting and is in great shape--gave a thorough cleaning. I rec'd the OEM airbox from PO today, will install it once I am feeling better. Have to change the oil too. (WAY WAY above sight glass. Hope it's all oil.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
when it comes to oil in the crankcase and you just got a used bike from previous owner, change out the oil because never assume what another person has done to your bike and when it was done, change it out anyways so that you will have your own record of what was done and when it was done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts