Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to follow the great instructions I've found on the forum tonight and debaffle my 09 900 Custom SE because the sound is my only complaint. I hope it sounds good when I'm done and saves me hundreds on a whole new exhaust. Plus I love the looks of the flat black exhaust, just not the sound! I am going to do what I have not seen on here though and take a video of the bike running before, and after, and splice them together so people thinking about doing this can compare. I plan on going with the 8 hole strategy right off the bat! Might shoot videos at 1) stock 2) pipe cut) 3) 4 holes drilled and 4) 8 holes drilled, and post them as one video with pauses in between. That is the only thing I wish i could have seen before doing this. Any last minute advice is appreciated but I have no fear of cutting into a new bike, lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
drill

Anxious to hear/see the video's as I'm hoping to try the same thing. I don't want it to be super loud, just a little more "throaty"

·
Registered
711 Posts
I did it and ran the bike like that for about six months. You can actually find the before and after with four holes, eith and then full debaffle on youtube. I dibaffled mine first with four and sounded really good, then eight and got better then all the way but I was not too happy with how it sounded like in third gear on when reving high. To me the sound was untuned so I ended up buying the V&H and wow very happy since then. I too like the look of the stockers better than most of what's available and that was the reason why I went with the V&H pipes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change of plans, and should be finished today. Got to the point of drilling holes and when I got to the second one my 1/2 drill bit snapped off inside the baffle so ... I can't get it out, so I got out the 3" holesaw and cut the first baffle out. Going to do the other one today. Guess I'm going all the way! lol .. I will post videos comparing stock to baffleless when I'm done today. Also will post a few pointers that might help anyone thinking about doing this. Still say it's worth doing though, has very cool sound with one done, can't wait to hear it when I finish the other! :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You would have ended up going all the way anyway. I constantly get comments on the "nice sound" of my pipes, and love it when I tell people they're stock. LOL

Let us know the height of your final satisfaction!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the sound! Sounds mean and like a bike should sound! Very happy I did it all the way! My camera broke half way through so, as soon as I get a new one, or bring the bike to work with me and use our camera, I will post a link with before and after.

Advice for anyone wanting to do this:

Don't get frustrated. Be careful when using the holesaw to cut down the baffle (mine kept catching and trying to snap my wrist in half). Take is slow with the holesaw. I found it easier on the second one to just drill with it until the cap actually came off in the holesaw as opposed to cutting and then grabbing it and twisting and bending it out, as suggested in the step by step. I just kept cutting until it came off completely. Saved me a lot of time and headache. Then once it is off, sticking a broomstick in the baffle and wiggling it for a few minutes was the easy part. Broke loose easily. I then sprayed the inside with flat black high temp exhaust paint (mine has black exhaust to begin with). Sounds awesome, looks a lot better too! I tried using all of the different tools suggested and here are my comments for which to use.

Drilled out the rivets, no problem.
Bent back the tab on the pipe using pliers, no problem.
Tried a dremel with cut off wheel SUCKED. Used Sawzall, took 30 seconds to cut both pipes off. Use the Sawzall, don't consider the dremel!
Used 1 1/2" hole saw to cut around pipe to disconnect it from baffle housing.
Used 3" hole saw for metal (obviously) to cut around baffle until it completely came off.
Stuck a broom stick in the baffle and worked it up and down and side to side for a few minutes until i heard a pop, the baffle then came out with the broomstick.
Took a magnet and got all of the shavings out, and used a damp rag to reach in and wipe out as far as I can reach (this got some small shavings that the magnet did't get).
Taped off the outside of the exhaust and sprayed high temp flat black exhaust paint inside to clean it up.

Pics and video to come! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you had taken the broom handle and cut off a small piece then slip inside the 3" hole saw it would have provided a good guide...but you need to cut the 1" pipe short with the Sawzall. I have no idea how you kept the 3" from walking once you cut a 1-1/2" hole. Using a metal cutoff blade versus a blade with teeth prevents some ugly mishaps too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, that made no sense to me. I did cut the pipe short with a sawzall.

Guess pointers don't really help me anymore since I'm done but it was easy and worked for me. No complaints.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I think what he was trying to say, and what I said AFTER I found out, was, and it's more for anyone that is reading this thread and OUR experiences, is if after you cut the pipe square with the sawsall, cut a piece of dowel to fit in that pipe and drill it for the centering drill of the hole saw. This will keep your drill from getting sideways a bit and locking down on the muffler can like you, I and probably he experienced. The hole 'go slow' routine is fine but my drill, while going moderately slow, still got hot enough to shoot the tranmission grease out of the box. Could just be the age of my drill, but going from turning to lock up didn't help it any. The centering dowel helps keep away from that.

I think another thing he was passing on was to drill the 3 inch hole first, then the size that goes over the inner pipe. If you don't the inner pipe will wobble around and cause even more locking up.

In the end, I'm glad you're happy with the sound and looks of the pipes. As mentioned above some folks weren't. Some folks went ahead and moved on to louder pipes. Some of those are still not satisfied with the level of their aftermarkets, just read a thread on that today. And some folks went and bought a set of OEM's off Ebay and went back to stock. Exhaust is subjective just like anything else on a motorcycle, you'll have to do what you want to make YOU happy. Hopefully this mod has you happy enough at a cost that even I could stand.

Warning now, if you cut the front of the muffler can out you could end up with too little back pressure and that could cost you low end and mid range torque. Be for-warned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MrClean and Baitis. Now that I understand what you mean, that is a hell of a tip! Wish I had that before I started! lol .. but it is done now and wasn't much trouble! That makes a lot of sense though and probably would have saved me a sore wrist! Well, I hope that helps the next guy that wants to do this mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts