Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
Been gone awhile, good to be back. Has anyone purchased an aftermarket trunk for their ride? Are they waterproof? Do they hold up to long trips? How do the locks hold up? Are they comfortable for your rider if they have a wraparound backrest? been looking at these trunks(DMY) and I just can't pull the trigger. I appreciate any words of wisdom regarding this subject.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This won't help much, but I purchased a DMY and installed it on my bike. I'm hoping the weather will clear enough for me to take it out this weekend and see how it feels.

The backrest is very firm. The trunk seems to close very tightly, and should be waterproof. I really hope it is. The locks look like they'll probably keep the trunk closed while you're riding. They certainly won't keep anybody out. A solid punch just below the lock should pop it right open, but I'm not going to do that to mine. The plastic is thick but flexible. I would not expect it to crack if something hit it. I'd expect it to bend and crease.

If you have a luggage rack you are planning to mount it on, you probably won't need their $30 bracket. I expect it to get a little soft during long rides in the hot summer sun, so I would cut a 1/4" sheet of something rigid to support the bottom if I had much overhang.

I took off my passenger seat and mounted the trunk on the pillion bracket, using Mutazu's bracket and a little composite material I had. When I get home from work, I could stick a couple of helmets in it and take some photos.

I think it's going to work for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a Kappa trunk in 2002 for my old 400 Maxim to go to school and back. 1 hr each way, rain and shine, year round, in traffic. It comfortably held either my helmet, or my backpack and they were always dry. I used it for... well it is still on my bike and I graduated on late 07. I just don't ride it as much anymore.
I would not hesitate to buy another Kappa, but, I am now thinking of getting one with a simple backrest built in. This would only be for looks as my wife doesn't ride anyway. I now have an 09 900LT and I want to add a luggage rack to hold the trunk and possibly change the backrest to a short sissybar - just for looks.
The Mutazu trunks look interesting. I am thinking of the hard saddle bags for long trips as well.
Still have time before the days are warm here anyway!

·
Registered
616 Posts
trunk

CD59,

Not that this helps answer your question, but I mounted a H-D Heritage Softail trunk on my Classic. It matches the bags, looks like it should be as watertite as the bags , which really arent!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The DMY are great Trunks for the price... Ran one on my Nomad for almost 3 years and I have had one on my V2K for over a year now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boss Hog,
Thanks for the input and pics of your bike, I have the same bike only in white and titanium. your bike looks VERY nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts