Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched the forums for an answer to my question and didn't find anything. I have a '95 800A with stock exhaust. I am looking at replacing this with aftermarket pipes, but the choices are limited when it comes to exact fit. There seem to be a lot more options for slip-ons. I have never replaced pipes, so my question is, how do I convert to slip-ons? Will I have to cut my current pipes and slip the new ones on? Will I have to purchase new header pipes that the slip-ons then go over? Every guide I've seen just shows you how to install the slip-on pipe over an existing header.

Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
304 Posts
V&h make some nice straight shots for your bike...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have searched the forums for an answer to my question and didn't find anything. I have a '95 800A with stock exhaust. I am looking at replacing this with aftermarket pipes, but the choices are limited when it comes to exact fit. There seem to be a lot more options for slip-ons. I have never replaced pipes, so my question is, how do I convert to slip-ons? Will I have to cut my current pipes and slip the new ones on? Will I have to purchase new header pipes that the slip-ons then go over? Every guide I've seen just shows you how to install the slip-on pipe over an existing header.

Thanks.
Bill
Your original post mentioned nothing about price, youQ just said regular pipes were limited and that you can mostly find slipons. Hence my response.

If you want the right answer, you need to ask the right question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your original post mentioned nothing about price, youQ just said regular pipes were limited and that you can mostly find slipons. Hence my response.

If you want the right answer, you need to ask the right question.
I don't want to get into a debate about what I asked, but my original post contained several questions about how slip-ons worked.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am looking at replacing this with aftermarket pipes, but the choices are limited when it comes to exact fit. There seem to be a lot more options for slip-ons.
Thanks.
Bill
Nor do I, but if you want to talk semantics, you clearly stated above that your choices were limited for aftermarket pipes, I clearly provided you with one option, after being a nice enough guy to research your bike, look at the stock exhaust and search for options, your response was borderline 'smart ass'. Trust me when I say that I can find better things to do with my time, but I made a conscious decision to be helpful. Nowhere in your post did you mention that price was was concern, if you
had, I likely would have added...'but they're a little pricey'...

/end of rant

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
I have a 800A also and it came used with straight drag pipes so I don't know about the anatomy of stock pipes, but generally slip ons are just the mufflers that use your stock headers. Just remove the stock mufflers and install the slip ons onto the stock headers. If you are close to Washington state maybe we could trade. Hope this helps. Ranters should move on!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was under the impression that the stockers were all one piece on that model/year, hence, no header... is that not accurate ? Looks that way in the pics I found online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was under the impression that the stockers were all one piece on that model/year, hence, no header... is that not accurate ? Looks that way in the pics I found online.
This is correct. My pipes are one piece from the header on back.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
They are a double wall head pipe, they have a smaller pipes inside what you see from just looking at them. This inner pipe is flared at both ends of the head pipe. I cutting the stock mufflers off to add splions, you will need to cut as far back as possible to avoid separating the inner and outer pipes t the muffler. I did not when I 1st bought my bike, thinking I could get the last baffle out from that end. It never caused me any problems, but just be warned, they are known to sometimes crack at the head flange and cause a rattle, the inner pipe I mean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a set of cobra pipes on mine, not really the loudest thing so was looking at eventually replacing them with v&h straights, what would I have to do in order to make sure it doesn't put any extra wear on the engine?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Mine had a loose baffle, and the dreaded rattle inside. I cut them off right beside the weld, replaced them with 883 mufflers, considerably louder than stock, and look like they belong there

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did the same on mine. The 883 stock is perfect slip size. But I had them welded on instead of clamped cause the clamp made the heat shield stick out. And yes they do look like they belong on the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had a loose baffle, and the dreaded rattle inside. I cut them off right beside the weld, replaced them with 883 mufflers, considerably louder than stock, and look like they belong there
Did you weld the 883 mufflers onto your bike after you cut the old mufflers off? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts