Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day Everyone,

I just resently bought a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic and so far I love it.
It's my very first bike and I plan to add a compatible after-market windshield. Before I do, I would love to get advice from you 900 classic owners. If you have purchased a windshield, what model did you get and from what site. I would also like to know how you feel about your purchase. Was it an easy install or was it complecated. Does it fit your bike well or does it rattle at high speeds.....

Any info will be well received.

Thanks

Sirmickey

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought the classic 900lt so it came with the oem shield imo nothing is more stable or looks better, however on the 900lt the oem shield is extremely too big, it acts as a sail and me being only 5'8" I can't see over the shield when its raining, even on its lowest setting. So that of course is upsetting and unsafe. I plan on getting mine trimmed down and I'm sure after that everything will be great. I just love the chrome and the oem mounts nothing will beat that. almost forgot the un/install is fairly simple all you need is an allen wrench.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I got a Memphis Shades batwing fairing. All the advantages of a windshield without the Shriner bike look (sorry, I'm not a fan of windshields). And since I only want it on the bike for long trips or cold weather, the quick release feature thrills me. It doesn't rattle or make any noise.

If you should happen to go this route, get the 9" (or 12") shield. The 7" is not only too short, it is not contoured right and directs the wind right into your eyes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the OEM windshield on mine.I'm 5'11", I made a small stainless steel bracket to move the bottom out a little which brings the top back. This lines it up better with the forks which looks a little better in my opinion, I like this shield.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My motivation for a windshield is for long trips and cold weather as well. But until now I never looked at a fairing. You got any photos.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the OEM windshield on mine.I'm 5'11", I made a small stainless steel bracket to move the bottom out a little which brings the top back. This lines it up better with the forks which looks a little better in my opinion, I like this shield.
Where'd you purchase you shield?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the classic 900lt so it came with the oem shield imo nothing is more stable or looks better, however on the 900lt the oem shield is extremely too big, it acts as a sail and me being only 5'8" I can't see over the shield when its raining, even on its lowest setting. So that of course is upsetting and unsafe. I plan on getting mine trimmed down and I'm sure after that everything will be great. I just love the chrome and the oem mounts nothing will beat that. almost forgot the un/install is fairly simple all you need is an allen wrench.
VicFlo,

Where should the top of the shield be relative to your eye level while sitting in the riding position?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Memphis QR 17'' on my '09 classic and it's great. I'm only 5'8 but I like the idea of being able to remove it in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a light bar on mine, do you? If so how is the clearance?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not a fan of windshields either.

I have the Memphis Shades quick detachable, black tinted windshield. It looks good when its on and does its job in the cold.

My two cents.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bought my oem windshield from the Kawi dealer. Takled the guys in the parts dept into giving me a discount, still pricey but the quality is worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
want to use OEM brackets but have a smaller shield .... try this link

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=280

stock chrome also fits.

Cheers Maurice

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cruiser 331, I don't have a light bar. With the oem windshield it's not an issue.
I have the LT so I have the OE shield and I also have the Cobra light bar but after looking there is not enough room to tilt the shield like you did with yours and still be able to retain the light bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts