Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had many bikes over the years but never a cruiser,I've got my eye on a tasty looking vn900 custom.As this will be my first cruiser what are they like to live with as an everyday bike,any probs I should be aware of.
Many thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ive had many bikes over the years but never a cruiser,I've got my eye on a tasty looking vn900 custom.As this will be my first cruiser what are they like to live with as an everyday bike,any probs I should be aware of.
Many thanks
I ride everyday 25 min each way to work, i love it and enjoy everyday.
weekend i take my wife out on PCH and she loves it too.
great bike. one thing to look out for is dont add on too much electrical stuff.
the stator tend to have problem on these 900s. beside that every thing is better than honda shadow. lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
25 mile commute is no problem. Friends and myself are in our 60's and ride a one hour radius for breakfast/lunch, etc. Mine isn't broken in yet and loves to run 50-55mph with a burst to 60 now and then. Can tell that when broken in, 60 will be no problem for long periods. I'm surrounded by 55mph secondary highways, so 60 is probably all I'll ever have to do except to pass a tractor or school bus. No need for anything bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be doing a 75mile round trip to work and back and weekend ride outs,so she will get used a fair bit.Glad they sound reliable,as for speed I'm not interested in going fast,just need enough umph to over take.I tend to keep it standard as I can,don't like to mess.Aslong as she starts stops,keeps going day in day out I will be a happy chap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
After riding sport and dual sports for 27 years, the first thing that struck me about my first cruiser (900 Classic) was the weight, acceleration, direction changes and braking all suffer. Next the seating position was just downright uncomfortable, but I've gotten used to it now and it's not bad at all. In the plus column, I don't have every squid trying to race me, they get great gas mileage (plus have a large tank) while commuting, with a windshield or fairing they have good wind protection, and with saddlebags you can bring along a lot of gear.

·
Registered
256 Posts
good bike but i like it for cruising and having fun not every day use but i see no problem with it for everyday. I live in nyc so for me a more maneuverable bike is better like an adventure bike or kawi 650 ninja. the 900 is a great bike and i like it a lot but i find it somewhat uneasy to make u turns or swerve quickly because the handlebars are so wide. For me its a weekend bike but that's probably because of where i use it. If highway only than it's a decent bike for everyday use

·
BOTM Winner, March 2015
124 Posts
Scooby2~ I ride my 900 Custom 70 miles round trip everyday it's above 60 degrees and not calling for rain. I'm a shorter rider at 5' 6" and never had a discomfort issue with any of the bikes' geometry (including seat comfort). I traded my high mileage '06 GSXR600 even up for this 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom after I suffered a Brachioradialis tear in both forearms which pretty much ended my 20 years of sport bike riding... and haven't looked back since. The bike has power to spare, overtakes easily on the highway, and can be tweaked and modified to suit your liking pretty easily. As was mentioned earlier, a windshield helps take the stress off of your arms and lower back on those longer highway rides, I pop mine on and off depending on my mood that day. :) Probably the main thing I noticed switching from sportbikes to cruisers is I actually "experience" the ride more now. When I rode sportbikes everything felt rushed and frantic... like strapping yourself to a cheetah. :eek: Now I relax, I don't care if a car or two passes me... I just enjoy the ride. :cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm also a daily commuter about 25 mins each way. 70/30 highway/secondary no complaints. I have a sissy bar that I bungee my lunch and laptop (backpack) and a swing arm bag with light weather gear. No problems 70-80 mph during the highway portion of my ride (200/70-15 rear tire).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys and a few interesting points.Im defo interested in one now and can see me getting one very soon.I will put some pics up as and when.
Thanks again guys you have made me make my mind up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 900 Custom SE was my first cruiser. I'm sure I looked stupid when I left the dealer's lot because I had trouble finding the footpegs! :rolleyes:
I didn't know if I'd like it or not (I bought it purely on looks) but turns out it's a lot of fun. The ride's a little hard on rough pavement and it vibrates above 70 MPH, but other than that it runs good, has plenty of power, and handles great. Coming from sportbikes I had to learn to slow down some in the corners (I was dragging my boot or the peg) but that's why you buy a cruiser anyway, to cruise. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Electrical accessories won't damage the stator. You'll want to keep it within the 70 watt limit to prevent from killing your battery or doing other damage, but the stator will last just as long with or without accesories.

That said, these stators are known to fail. 15~30k or so miles. The insulation rubs raw and they short out. If you're handy, it's about a $200 fix. Otherwise it's closer to $1,000 to have the dealer do it.

Either way, it's still a fantastic bike. The stator issues are nothing compared to the other compromises of the other bikes in that class.

Coming from a sport bike this won't be a problem for you, but this engine likes to spin. Expect higher RPM's when shifting and when cruising on the freeway than many other cruisers you'll encounter. In my opinion (whatever that's worth), it's no big deal, but if you are used to lug-a-long cruisers it can be a bit surprising doing 4,000 RPM's on the freeway. That also does lead to some vibrations, but wearing good boots and good gloves (or replacing the grips instead of wearing gloves) takes care of that.

I wear boots with cheap $10 gel insoles (just for dampening the vibrations, don't think they really do anything for the boots comfort lol), and have gloves with gel palms. Eliminates the little bit of vibration I WAS feeling. Now it's smooth as butter. Good bike for sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts