Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT Dec.24, 2015. Had only 1450 miles on it. Have changed the oil and filter twice. At 1900 miles and 4100 miles [use Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic, W/Fram oil filter-PH6017A]. Other than checking tire air pressure, keeping the bike clean & in the garage I have done little or nothing. I have 5200 miles on it now. Bike has the original OEM Dunlop 404D tires. I just purchased [from Motorcycle Super Store] Bridgestone Exedra Max Bias Front Tire Color- Blackwall, Size- 130/90-16 & Bridgestone Exedra Max Bias Rear Tire Color- Blackwall, Size- 180/70-15. My rear tire shows some wear. My front tire looks almost new. Should I change both tires now? Should I ride through fall season [ I ride a little in the winter]? Should I just change rear tire now & front later? Also considering buying K&N air filters. I try and do minor maintenance and oil changes myself. Tire changes I leave to my local repair shop. Sorry this entry got a little long. Any feedback, suggestions, comments, etc. would be appreciated!
**Also, any suggestions on how many miles before I need before new spark plugs and air filters? Windshield adjustment hex/bolts frozen tight. Any suggestions on how to loosen them?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've got almost 10k on my 05 Vulcan 800 tires, had 'em on there since March of 2010. They're a little hard and dry rotted, and I planned to change them out this past spring, but never did. Some aggressive riding got the old, hardened rubber off, and they handle a lot better now.

I plan to get new tires put on next spring (2017), if that helps with your decision.

-John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. Maybe I'm being too cautious with tires. I read that tires [even unworn] should be replaced at least every 5 years as the rubber compounds break down on their own and it could make the tire unsafe....??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, the 5 years may be right. My bike is partially stored outside (riding season) and in a motorcycle shell the rest of the time, so they saw some weather, but not 100% of the time.

I noticed last year that the tires were getting harder and the bike was harder to turn. I also don't corner a ton, so they developed a shoulder to them which made it not fun to corner hard, lol.

When it comes to safety, if you're comfortable (ie, feeling safer), you're better off, so I'd go ahead and change those tires out.

-John

·
Registered
108 Posts
My uncle was riding his goldwing on a bridge with a tractor trailer passing and blew his rear tire.He was able to safely fight it to a stop,but said he would never take a chance on tires anymore,once was enough lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Diver Dan & Bluecruiser! I will definitely take you comments seriously. What is wrong with Fram filters? Anyone else have bad experience using Fram oil filters?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I changed both tires together,saved me the headache,of doing it twice,use valv 10-40 f/s and a kn303 filter,0ver 8k no problems

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
TwS,Imo spray a little PB blaster on the windshield bolts,I would stay w the oem air filter,I leave everything stock,If you can get couple thousand more out of your front tire,then you can wait,mine were both shot,9 is a great bike,miss mine,Ride safe

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you can leave new rubber in your garage without installing it then you are a better man than me. I say change them. New tires is like getting a new bike.

·
Registered
673 Posts
1+ on the old tire thing

As far as the oil filter thing, its like oil if you like it, use it.
I use the K&N 303 as I like the welded nut on the top of the filter (great for removal)

I use the K&N air filter. Almost same cost as factory replacement, If K&N can be believed, it flows more air than stock, more than the motor can use even at redline.

Do the maintinece, keep the air in the tires, Ride it
Just my .02

·
Registered
643 Posts
We only have 2 tires and the contact patch is pretty small, considering that this the means for traction in the corners and stopping, maintaining tires is of utmost importance, the age of your tires is not bad but check them for cracks etc depending on where it was stored the rubber may have degraded i..e stored in a shed next to a gas can is not a good thing. Check tire pressure every week. Front and rear tire treads work together to displace water so if you ride in the rain I suggest changing front and rear tires at the same time, front and rear should be same brand and model of tire. I use balancing beads and they make for a smooth ride.

I like the K&N oil filter the nut on the top of the filter makes oil change simple. I got the Cobra Power Flo air intake which comes with the K&N filter. The power flo looks good and adds a little more grunt to the sound when you crack the throttle along with a very modest power gain. If you are running stock Unmodified exhaust you do not need a fuel processor with the power flo.

I got 15,000 from my original spark plugs was still running fine but I changed them to Iridium plugs at 15K miles.

Get a cable lube tool to lube throttle and clutch cable. My clutch cable had a little stretch in it at 5,000 miles that made the transmission really clunk when shifting into gear, the cable was only about 1 mm out of spec but that was enough to be an issue.

Change your brake fluid every year or 2 at the most. Brake fluid does not circulate and the fluid starts to break down at the caliper where it is exposed to heat. Brake fluid will absorb water so just buy the small bottle and throw any unused fluid away at the end of the riding season, buy fresh the following year.

I do synthetic oil change every 4K 7.5 is to long for my liking, follow the owner's manual for maintenance (you can download form Kawi for free) The valve clearance inspection at 15K is important Don't skip it. I also suggest getting a belt tension tool, I run my belt at 7-8 mm play at 10 lbs force, I think the Kawi spec is too tight (7-10 mm is more in line with other mfgs belt specs). Lots of good videos on youtube, and this forum is great to search for specific issues and or ask advise.

Finally consider getting a service manual, you can get a pdf version for around $10. I keep the owners and service manual on my iphone which has come in handy a few times.

WB

·
Registered
308 Posts
it's the sun that damages the rubber more than the heat itself...
anyways, inspecting your tires and keeping the tire pressure at optimal levels is crucial.
no air or oil filter, no gas or oil used is going to put your life in danger... but the tires and brakes can cause very unpleasant situations.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I changed my front tire this summer after owning the bike just short of four years and a little over 10,000 miles. Keep in mind, the bike was a brand new 2010, which means the tires were already about two years old in this or a California climate. It was a matter of rider safety, especially since it concerned the front tire. The tread was still there, but I am not interested in attempting to ride out a blow out at 65 mph or so.

Fram filters a over priced, low quality filters. That is why I won't use them. For the same price you can get a far higher quality Wix or the OEM at the dealer. I switch back and forth between those two.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
My experience has been that you will go through one rear tire before needing to change the front tire. So basically every other rear tire change will also get a front tire. But I ride 2 up and loaded as well. So that and riding style will ultimately be the deciding factor on tire changes. Mine usually get damn near bald before I say, well I better get a new tire. LOL

Went with the Metzler 888 tires this time round. Supposed to be a higher mileage tire. We shall see. I did not care for the stock dunlops on the Vulcan at all. They seem to pull you into all the cracks and crevises on the road, the Metzlers do not. Handle better too. But tire threads around here are like oil threads. Everyone has a different opinion. Do a search and you'll see what I mean. My advise is to ride the hell out of it until you know you need a new tire. :0)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts