Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
09' burnt orange Custom...rear pulley...finished or unfinished
I'm running the polished Scootworks pulley along with a Metzler 200 on an 09 Burnt Orange Custom. As far as looks go I like it. Performance wise in my own humble opinion it has made a terrific difference in the overall performance. No longer looking for a 6th gear. It also spread out the shift points which makes the bike seem quite a bit smoother. Before the install I was concerned that I may lose some bottom end pickup but that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course I ride the bike like the cruiser that it was designed as and am not trying to do hole shots or pull wheelies with it. This setup also moves the rear tire back to where it is pretty well centered in the curve of the rear fender when viewed from the side making it appear more balanced in appearance. Other people may feel differently but this has been my experience with this setup. I think it was money well spent and am very pleased with the results. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx bkay

I think i will go with the polished. Now trying to decide on 230 tire. I am currently running a Metz 200...i like it, it was a good decision. I now have 8,000k on the tires (25,000 on bike) and i think i want to change it up some more. I noticed a comment about Metz and rain...i follow car tracks...i have done some tail wags...no fun with passenger...thx 4 response

·
Registered
742 Posts
09' burnt orange Custom...rear pulley...finished or unfinished
definitely get the polished one!! ... although i can't say much about it fitting better in the rear fender, mine is gone! :)

only thing i have noticed is i have had to tweak the belt a couple times because it has drifted... i would get it into position like factory, then after a long ride it may or may not have shifted over... reset it and kept on riding! enjoy!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the front pulley and did like what it did performance-wise. Did not like the belt squeal. Did an inspection and found the pulley starting to compress and became worn. Made a deal with SW to trade it for the rear pulley which I have yet to install. Must have made 30+ calls to SW to get the issue resolved. I also got the wrong zip code response. Spoke to 'Dave' maybe three times out of all those calls. They really need a lesson on customer service.
I run Kenda 170-80 rear and it is long wearing. Hope to get the pulley on soon and hit the road.

·
Registered
847 Posts
sw rear pulley

sw pulleys have been improved, so i have been told. I too tried the front one first, two yrs. ago. It squealed terribly. I swapped it for the rear and the results are much better. The rear pulley is wider than the stock so the belt will tend to pull to the outside. I had mine checked by the dealer, they say it's good like thAT. I am interested in the 200 tire. Can any of you tell me your experience with it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
K&N air filter for 900

I am curious if the K&N air filter helps any. If you have one I would appreciate your input. I am using the stock box and cover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sage; i recommend the BARON filter...keep it clean...it did change performance 4 sure...i got proof positive from BARON...askem urself...they responded quickly...i did not want to change pipes...too considerate ov neighbors

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I had the front pulley and did like what it did performance-wise. Did not like the belt squeal. Did an inspection and found the pulley starting to compress and became worn. Made a deal with SW to trade it for the rear pulley which I have yet to install. Must have made 30+ calls to SW to get the issue resolved. I also got the wrong zip code response. Spoke to 'Dave' maybe three times out of all those calls. They really need a lesson on customer service.
I run Kenda 170-80 rear and it is long wearing. Hope to get the pulley on soon and hit the road.
Have been waiting on my rear pulley for 8 weeks now.... Keep getting the we're just about ready to start filling orders after the move story... It's getting old. Even though I am looking forward to installing, getting out and riding in the spring weather has its calming affects. But, it's still frustrating having to wait two months for a part.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
First mistake is dealing with ScootWorks, 2nd mistake is their pulley and belts, don't do it, I changed my 2002 800B over to a ScootWorks wide drive belt and it was the worst thing I could ever do, the 1st belt broke when i tried passing a slow moving truck and 2nd belt they shipped me said it was a stronger belt and would solve all my problems, but it kept skipping the front pulley teeth on the slightest of throttle acceleration.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
OH, I just remembers, when I sold the 2002 800 to a lady, the bike had the 2nd ScootWorks improved belt on it, and she was coming out of a restaurant and tried to accelerate into traffic and that belt even broke, I remember now because I had a 3rd belt as a back-up replacement and changed it for her. She got fed up with that bike and sold it within a month and i'm sure it was because of that ScootWorks belt fiasco.

·
Registered
847 Posts
sw belt

I had the same problem with the belt drive conversion on a HOnda, but have had no problems with the rear pulley for my Kawa that is factory belt drive. The conversion was junk, I do not recommend it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I changed mine back to chain drive........raised cane and got partial credit from sw. I think the tension recommended by them was too tight..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts