Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I need some advice. There is oil leaking out the bottom of the air filter cover on my 2007 Vulcan 900 Classic, for the second time. The first time, I took the cover off, and about less than 1/4 cup of oil flowed out. It's a KnN air filter in a rubber seal thing that fits under the chrome cover.
I went to my local cycle shop, and they said it's not serious, but maybe the bike had a bit too much oil in it. Or maybe the seal is starting to go...Basically to keep an eye on it.
I was due for an oil change anyway, so I did that, and followed the instructions in the manual exactly regarding amounts to put in. (2.7L if not changing the filter)
Went for a ride the other day and it seemed fine. Rode to work Monday and I heard a faint ticking noise I'm not familiar with. And now the oil is leaking out again.
How do I make this stop? Is it the air filter needs cleaning maybe? Not enough oil? Too much? The sight glass seems to be showing the right amount, but it's so hard to get an accurate view on that thing- very poor design I think.
Any advice appreciated
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If overfilled, higher engine speeds increase the oil getting into the filter. Its possible the crankcase vent may be getting plugged, but have never heard of that being a problem.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Even with the oil filled to near the upper oil level line on the sight glass my 900 will have some oil (not much, maybe a tablespoon at most) in the air intake filter box. I have to keep my oil level near the middle point between the high and low sight glass marks to prevent that. Agree with the problem of seeing the oil level in the sight glass - I had a very difficult time with that until I changed to using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 oil. No problem with that now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn't the little oil reservoir catch this oil before it became an issue? I was noticing oil on my filter as well and it turned out that my reservoir was full of oil. Hadn't had an issue since emptying it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It happens. Oil blows out of the crankcase breather and into the air filter. It's not really cause for concern; and is usually the result of overfilling the bike with oil. Though high RPM's can cause it even when correctly filled.

·
Registered
12 Posts
more info please

So i have the same issue with the oil leaking out on my 2009. Its small drips but annoying none the less. The bike is not to the top fill line, id say even between the low and high marks. I do give it some throttle now and again but not a ton, i just got it a few weeks ago and only have a couple hundred miles on it. I decided to youtube the issue as i had heard its a common problem. What i havent heard is how to stop the box from leaking at least. If the oil in there is not a big deal then i can live with it i guess (but if there is a fix i would probably do it). So how exactly do i stop it from leaking? i read about some type of rubber seal but i dont see any really. Its a used bike possible its missing? only 7000 miles.

Second, what are the opinions on this fix that i found on you tube?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i run a longer piece of oil line 3/8 up over the rear cylinder and down to the right side of the swing arm cut and wire tied so the oil dips away from the tire if any.most of the oil goes back down in the crank case.pluged the whole in the air box.my filter stays nice and clean now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure i love that idea. Would have oil dripping in my garage. How did you get the tube out of the air filter cover? Cut a hole? i was expecting a bunch of people to be responding on the video, split down the middle.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
i run a longer piece of oil line 3/8 up over the rear cylinder and down to the right side of the swing arm cut and wire tied so the oil dips away from the tire if any.most of the oil goes back down in the crank case.pluged the whole in the air box.my filter stays nice and clean now.
This is basically how my 05 800 came from the dealer when I bought it new, has a hose that runs from the bottom of the air filter housing down to the bottom right front of radiator with a catch bottle. I empty this about every couple oil changes. As for the hose going to just one cylinder, as in the video, the only problem I can see is if its ever over filled very much, all the excess oil would go to that cylinder, be like having leaking valve guides/seals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is basically how my 05 800 came from the dealer when I bought it new, has a hose that runs from the bottom of the air filter housing down to the bottom right front of radiator with a catch bottle. I empty this about every couple oil changes. As for the hose going to just one cylinder, as in the video, the only problem I can see is if its ever over filled very much, all the excess oil would go to that cylinder, be like having leaking valve guides/seals.
The catch bottle is an idea. Seems like mounting it could be a pain or ugly.

So when the guy in the video put the tube to those intakes on top exactly where was the oil going? Back where it came from? Or at least an area that already contains oil right? i can do a Y connector to send hoses to both holes, That seems like a simple fix if there is no big downside? Just seemed kinda hokey and want to make sure its not going to cause me any issues. Its a pretty small amount of oil. Even just a gasket or something that would keep it from coming out the box onto the engine would be good for me, then i can just open it up and clean it every so often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mine has been done for a while and have yet to see any oil on the ground were its parked most just falls back down to the vent.i do not over fill my oil i keep it just under the top line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts