Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, installed my overdrive pulley, took the bike down the road 1 mile, returned home. Noticed a new humming noise on deceleration at speeds around 30 or less. Not quite as worried about the humming and more about checking alignment, belt tracking, and tension. I pull all the covers. I get the flashlight out and im looking around and I see flecks of what looks like rubber all around the area where the belt tracks. So I start to inspect the belt and I see what looks like where the pulley is digging into the belt. Anyway this is my first pulley swap and I have about 2 miles on the bike since the swap. I cant decide whether this is normal and the rough edges on the pulley were just breaking in, or if I have a problem. I would appreciate advice from those who have done the swap about their experience. Let me add that alignment and tension are both perfect. I purchased the Kawasaki tool to measure tension and its dead nuts. The belt is tracking just a few mm off the outside edge just like it did on the stock pulley. I am not a professional but I did this install pretty much perfect.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
When I had my front pulley changed I heard a chirping then a winding down sound on deceleration. Turned out the mechanic had the belt too tight. Did you remove the belt guide on the inside of the cover?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I had my front pulley changed I heard a chirping then a winding down sound on deceleration. Turned out the mechanic had the belt too tight. Did you remove the belt guide on the inside of the cover?
Yes belt guide is gone. Decided to ride it ans see if it gets worse. Went 30ish miles and it looks a bit worse but not much. I hear a wind down around 30mph, 20mph and 10 mph. I suppose i could try loosening it but honestly its in spec so im hesitant. Going to pull all the covers again and take a real good look at it. Did some hard pulls so i think its ok. Wondering if others have the mark on their belt? Starting to think its normal. Never had a belt drive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, guess its not really getting any worse so maybe it is normal

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I don't know, guess its not really getting any worse so maybe it is normal
Would be interesting to see similar pics from others who have changed out the pulley. :dont-know:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Or a belt from a stock pulley even.
Good point. If the wear pattern looks similar then that would put my mind at ease knowing I didn't do anything to create a potential problem. Ah, such is the life of a modder.... :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks normal to me, Where its white on the rib of the belt, that's the contact point of where the recess/grooves in the pulley, grips the belt.

If the profile of the rib on the belt changes, wears down noticeably or the like, then that's a cause for concern, but that's what you have there is just typical wear.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks normal to me, Where its white on the rib of the belt, that's the contact point of where the recess/grooves in the pulley, grips the belt.

If the profile of the rib on the belt changes, wears down noticeably or the like, then that's a cause for concern, but that's what you have there is just typical wear.
Im about to sleep much better tonight. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an email back from Dave at scootworks addressing my issue. He said that the wear shown in my pics looks normal. He asked to see a few pictures of my install and was very helpful and prompt with his response. As far as addressing my wind down noise, I have decided that I did not verify my belt tension properly. After reading the manual again, they want it done with a slightly different approach than I took. So, I will be swinging by Harbor Freight on the way home to get a cheap lift cause the rear tire needs to be off the ground. I will report back once I get things adjusted correctly.

FYI this is a nice mod. You can turn out of an intersection now and not feel the need to shift into second until you get straightened up. It's a very noticeable difference to me and I would not want it geared any lower (or is it higher?) if I ever planned on riding two up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
^ Ideally, the belt tension should be set with the rear tire on the ground, with its typical weight on it. When the rear end of the bike is lifted off the ground, its not the normal setting for the swingarm. In that case, when you think the belt is properly tensioned, and set the rear end of the bike back down, the belt tension would be off from what you set it as.

A good way to check the belt tension without any tools, is try to pull the top or bottom of the belt (between the two pullies). You should be able to deflect the belt about 3/8" in each direction without really having to strain to get any more out of it.

Keep in mind, these belts are ribbed, so the actual ribs do the grabbing and pulling. If it was a typical V belt as in what older cars & trucks have, you'd need a ton more tension on it, since the grip would only come from the friction of the belt sides onto the pulley. With these ribbed belts, the ribs in the recesses/grooves of the pulley do the work for you, so the belt doesn't need to be as fiddle tight as do accessory drive belts for cars & trucks.

Also, regarding the noise, put a layer of petroleum jelly on the friction sides of the belt, as in the sides and under side of the belt, that should take care of the whine. If you were raise the rear wheel off the ground, you can free spin the wheel with one hand while applying the jelly in your other hand to make sure you cover everything.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, I may be wrong here, but I thought I saw (on several sites and in the manual) that you are not suppose to put any petroleum products on the drive belt.

Some guys use silicone spray, or even wax candle on the sides of the belt to quiet it down; but never grease, oil, petroleum jelly, or vaseline.

It is probably a better idea to just set the alignment and tension of the belt correctly rather than slather on the goop to quiet the belt. This is also covered in the service manual - you apply 10 lbs (45 N) of pressure to the lower section of the belt at the midway point, and observe the belt deflection in the little window in the belt guard. Page 2-25 of the service manual. The belt should be COLD when checking deflection. The manual suggests checking the belt deflection at 4 points - by rotating the rear tire though 360 degrees - thus, check the deflection at the rear tire 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock positions.

By the way, the service manual tells you to lift the rear wheel off the ground to adjust the belt. Page 2-27 of the service manual.

Also, the belt tension does not change when you load the rear suspension. If it did, the belt would always be too tight when you ride 2-up, and too loose as a single, skinny rider. The engineering of the rear suspension takes care of this.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My biggest mistake was how I am measuring the belts deflection. I was looking through the sight window like your supposed to, but I was putting the tool under the belt right next to the sight window. Your actually supposed to move that forward in front of the frame rail. So what I thought was 1/8" deflection or .125 or 3.2mm was actually 1/16 deflection or 1.6mm, maybe even a bit less. So since that is the max tightness Kawasaki recommends I think all my very minor issues could be solved by loosening it up just a bit.
I did buy a lift last night from harbor freight, but I think I may keep it in the box until I make one more adjustment and ride. Should know something by the weekend.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Grab a belt tension gauge while your at it if you don't have one. Make sure your belt is tracking true. Set the belt deflection to around 8mm. Manual says around 5mm, but that is just too tight. There are many many threads and discussions on this forum about that, and the squeaking that comes from the belt and aftermarket overdrive pulleys. I am one of them that has just learned to live with it. Although I can also say that the majority goes with the Baron brand due to issues with scootworks pulley quality in the past. Just an observation. My service manual also states that rear tire is to be off the ground when adjusting the belt. Since you are to rotate the wheel and check belt tension in different spots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts