Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking delivery of my Vaquero on Saturday.
My g/f is used to having a back rest. A QR sissy bar type.

Should I go with the Mustang seat with back rest for rider and passenger or...

Stick with the original seat which has space for driver's back rest and go with QR Kawasaki sissy bar / rack / passenger back rest.

I can't really see any advantage one has over the other, apart from the rack which would carry waterproofs, and not a lot else.

Do the bag bracket covers have to come off for the QR type sissy bar.

All and any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
How much do you think she will be riding with you? That is a big question to ask, I do not own one Vaq, but the back seat looks very similar in design as the ones on the mean streak (used to have one). It is there for look and not to be sitting on. If she is going to be riding with you on longer trips, do her (and your self a favor) and get her a nicer seat. The less she complains, the better off you will be.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot!

We have several UK trips planned, and a couple through Europe.

The main reason I bought this bike is for two up riding, as the Softail is hopeless for two up stuff.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
There will be some other chime in sooner or later. Before I went a purchased any seats, first thing I would do is have her sit on it and see how her legs are bent and how they fit on the pegs (soon to be purchased boards, lol). If her knees are high I would look into a thicker seat, having you knees up high is the same as slouching when you sit. It puts your lower back in a bind.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There will be some other chime in sooner or later. Before I went a purchased any seats, first thing I would do is have her sit on it and see how her legs are bent and how they fit on the pegs (soon to be purchased boards, lol). If her knees are high I would look into a thicker seat, having you knees up high is the same as slouching when you sit. It puts your lower back in a bind.
Yep EXACTLY what I thought.

I wanted to go the new seat route because I like the clean lines of the rear of the bike, and didn't want another sissy bar hanging in the shed when it's not on the bike.

I've spoken to Mark from Mustang seats, who is really helpful, regarding the strength of the back rest v sissy bar.

My only reservation about the new seat is if it pushes me further forward as I'm 6'2", and need room to stretch my legs out on a long ride.

So unless someone has any other ideas looks like it will be a new seat, probably Mustang, and then some footboards, and maybe an intercom, er no actually scrub that last one ha ha.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Keef there might be a few things you might wanna think about investing in for your new ride.
Lets start with comfort, If you care alot about your g/f the Mustang is the way to go for her comfort for the price you can't beat it. If you Install the Kawi Q/R passenger backrest the Mustang seat will set her up higher and take away from her back support and you'll have to remove backrest to remove the seat alot easier. I ordered the Mustang passenger sissy bar pad which sets about 2" off the Mustang seat with the pad being 1" taller than the stock pad giving her a total of 3" more back support and it made a world of difference for my wife and you can remove the seat without removing the Q/R backrest. And plus you might wanna order some passenger floorboards, my wife love her floorboards.

Now let talk about music, if your gonna wanna listen to your music and you will you have a couple of options. You can beef up the stereo system by installing a amp under the hood and new speakers or like I did and install a taller windshield to cut down on the wind buffering so you can hear the stock stereo. I have a 14" shield that makes the ride and music much more enjoyable. A place called Klock Werks makes a sharp looking shield for the Vaquero, I don't have one yet but it's in the future plans.

With that said, congrats on the new ride and hope you really enjoy it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keef there might be a few things you might wanna think about investing in for your new ride.
Lets start with comfort, If you care alot about your g/f the Mustang is the way to go for her comfort for the price you can't beat it. If you Install the Kawi Q/R passenger backrest the Mustang seat will set her up higher and take away from her back support and you'll have to remove backrest to remove the seat alot easier. I ordered the Mustang passenger sissy bar pad which sets about 2" off the Mustang seat with the pad being 1" taller than the stock pad giving her a total of 3" more back support and it made a world of difference for my wife and you can remove the seat without removing the Q/R backrest. And plus you might wanna order some passenger floorboards, my wife love her floorboards.

Now let talk about music, if your gonna wanna listen to your music and you will you have a couple of options. You can beef up the stereo system by installing a amp under the hood and new speakers or like I did and install a taller windshield to cut down on the wind buffering so you can hear the stock stereo. I have a 14" shield that makes the ride and music much more enjoyable. A place called Klock Werks makes a sharp looking shield for the Vaquero, I don't have one yet but it's in the future plans.

With that said, congrats on the new ride and hope you really enjoy it!
Hey sound advice, thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a Mustang Seat and backrest for rider and passenger on my Vaquero and like it. My wife did not like the thong back seat area on the stock seat so got a mustang. Now she likes riding so much will be selling the bike soon and getting a Gold Wing. So much for fixing up the Vaquero.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a Mustang Seat and backrest for rider and passenger on my Vaquero and like it. My wife did not like the thong back seat area on the stock seat so got a mustang. Now she likes riding so much will be selling the bike soon and getting a Gold Wing. So much for fixing up the Vaquero.
LMAO...Thats just not right!

·
Registered
701 Posts
For someone that is 6'2, it would be best for you to sit on a bike with a mustang seat as it does push you forward. I did and I didn't care for the riding position.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If she is a bigger girl, may want to skip the backrest for you, but definetly get her a better seat and a backrest. The double backrest will decrease the space for at least one of you, and you can always lean against her. That could be a good thing. The doulble backrest could be good if she is slimmer and it doesnt cramp your position.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If she is a bigger girl, may want to skip the backrest for you, but definetly get her a better seat and a backrest. The double backrest will decrease the space for at least one of you, and you can always lean against her. That could be a good thing. The doulble backrest could be good if she is slimmer and it doesnt cramp your position.
Na, she's a lightweight.

I have to have a back rest, arthritis in my spine.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sound advice, I have had both type of passengers with the same person. There was a drivers backrest and sissy bar on the Yamaha V-Star I had. At the time, the wife and I had put on our "too comfortable marriage weight". We could not ride no more than 20-30 miles before it became unbearable. We took it off and was able to go 50-60 miles before a good brake. During that winter, we decided we were going to loose weight and do it together, over that fall/winter/spring we both dropped around 60lbs a piece. First ride we took on that Yamaha, it felt like a completely different bike. We could go 100 miles or so with out a break and I had put the back rest on it. We tried out an Ultra Classic once with a drivers backrest and she still did not like it because it put a lot of pressure on her hips, with out it she could hold her legs closer together and be more comfortable.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Does saddlemen make a seat for the Vaq. Typically those seats have a bit of a "Back rest" built in on their 2up seats. I have not checked but it is a thought. Also would a Voyager seat fit? I don't know, I am just snowballing ideas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My R2unit has done over 100k miles with me on various bikes. She HATED the stock passenger pad on the Vaquero. She couldn't do more than 1 hour at a time. We used to do 10-12 hour days. So, that was the first thing thrown away. There are lots of aftermarket seats out there. I went with the Mustang. Corbin is good as well, and some others. But, my two bits says don't go with the stocker pad and backrest.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, I never knew there was so much to this.

I've never had a proper touring bike before, so it's all a learning curve for me.

Just spoke to my dealer and the new ride is all ready to go tomorrow morning, the weather isn't looking great, but at least the first ride will be solo.

Time will tell...........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just wait til you try to ride for more than 20 minutes on the stock seat. ANY other seat, including a wooden one carved by a 5 year old will be more comfortable. You'll see...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I picked it up this morning.
What an awesome motorcycle. Comfortable, handles nice, looks brilliant.
Got the pump and iPod interface too, and the iPod interface is faulty as it has a bad wire that is intermittently cutting out, but dealer has already ordered me a new one.

Added some air to the suspension, and one pump of the Kawasaki (Progressive Suspension) pump takes it up to 40 psi, so so much for adding air slowly!!! Can't see any oil leaking from the shock so think I may have got away with it.

Belt is adjusted really really tight. It is squealing just a little at about 30 mph. Have asked dealer to check it when they open next on Tuesday.

Can anyone tell me what the standard Kawasaki free play is for the drive belt please?? Just so I am armed with the correct info when I go back.

I know that Harley set all their belts on the tight side from new, so as to allow for the initial wear, but this is really really tight.

Anyhow, all good so far, on the whole.

G/F sat on the rear seat, and said the seat was terrible!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts