Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a stupid thing - while spot welding a highway bar on a 2008 Vulcan 500, I accidentally touched the fork inner tube with a stick. Now there is a small pit, less than 1/16" deep, and about 5" above the seal. Now I need to decide whether I should repair the tube (epoxy?), replace or just forget about it? Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
$$$$$ ouch! Replace it and forget about it. You will never fix it smooth enough to not cause problems with the seals. Unless it does not go past the seals and is above the travel limit of the suspension.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The pit is 5" above where the lower tube/seal normally sits??
Have someone focus a video on the pit while you hold the front brake and push down hard on the bars repeatedly.
Push hard enough to bottom out your fork travel, simulating emergency braking.
Watch the video carefully, and if the seal touches or crosses the pit at any time you will have to replace the tube.
If the seal doesn't touch the pit at any time, then it's merely cosmetic and you'll have to decide if you can put up with that blemish.
If it's just cosmetic, at least dab it with clear or silver paint/nail polish/etc. for rust prevention.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it's 5" above your seal, chances are, it won't ever actually touch the seal. I'd rig up a system to carefully and accurately compress the suspension (perhaps a ratchet strap between the tree and wheel) and see if your suspension bottoms out before it hits the buggered spot. If it bottoms out before the bugger touches the seal, you're fine and it's all cosmetic, but if it touches the seal, you probably ought to replace it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the damaged area doesn't touch the seal area, just loosen tube clamps and twist / turn it around back towards motor where it will not be seen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts