Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been 'courting' a 2014 Vulcan Custom candy lime green for a few weeks now. My bonus check is a week away and it looks like I'm going to take the plunge!! I haven't been riding a bike regularly in about 10 years but before that I was a pretty regular rider. I have found a 2014 new for 7K, is this a good deal? Seems good but I've never bought a bike new before. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
One thing I've been wondering is, I weigh about 135lbs at 5'4", do you think the Vulcan 900 is too big of a bike for someone like me. I had a kawasaki 1100 in my early twenties for a summer. Of course, I lived life a little more dangerously back then.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You should be fine on the bike but I'd buy used.If you find the bike is not what you're looking for you will not take such a hit getting rid of it.Craigslist is full of low mileage,stock, gently used bikes.Welcome to the forum.
The 900's are pretty good bikes.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I think you'll be just fine on a bike of that size - no problem at all.

Personally, if you can afford it, I'd suggest buying new. Read through the forum. Look at the mods that people do. Search and ask around about how many people take their bikes in for a scheduled service with a real mechanic, and how many people seem to think that a service consists of an oil change. Read and see how many folks basically "learn to ride" on these bikes.

When you buy a used bike, you buy ALL of that, unless they can provide records proving that they had a competent mechanic perform all manufacturer-suggested service (that's more than just changing the oil).

Good luck in your decision!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Go sit on it. Generally speaking, a new rider on a new bike ought to easily be able to lift it up, and ought to be able to flat-foot it sitting at a stop. Experienced riders might be able to get away with a bit bigger bike (though flat-footing is always a good idea). But, personally, I'd never consider riding for the first time (or first time in a long while) on a bike I couldn't flat-foot.

Good luck! The VN900 is a good machine.

·
Registered
847 Posts
jjz 900 Opinion

Opinions are like other things everybody has one, and some are one. Logically it makes sense to me to try the bike first. I would recommend buying a nice used bike. They are advertised everywhere. I think it's the most offered bike for sale I know of and for what reason I don't know unless it was not as expected or they our grew it etc. It makes no economic sense at all to buy new for a rider re-entering the market. You should be able to buy a nice bike maybe with some add on accessories included for about half your out the door price for new. If you scratch, dent or ding it no tears. Like I say we all have opinions. Touching the ground is very important, tippy toes don't work on an incline, you wind up with only one toe touching and over you go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you have to do a VIN check and dont know how ot tie it down on a trailer, GET HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW, mine fell over and now i have a nice dent on the gas tank(it is actually a nice dent that at first glance looks to be a "speed groove" LOL) Im severely out of shape and found out how heavy ~600 lbs really is.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
if you have to do a VIN check and dont know how ot tie it down on a trailer, GET HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW, mine fell over and now i have a nice dent on the gas tank(it is actually a nice dent that at first glance looks to be a "speed groove" LOL) Im severely out of shape and found out how heavy ~600 lbs really is.
Remember - a VIN check doesn't show everything. A LOT of people just "do the repairs themselves" because they don't want their insurance rates to go up. Then, you'll never know if you have a bike with a tweaked frame, engine damage, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember - a VIN check doesn't show everything. A LOT of people just "do the repairs themselves" because they don't want their insurance rates to go up. Then, you'll never know if you have a bike with a tweaked frame, engine damage, etc.
I only buy from dealers(got burned with buying my first car from " a guy in the newspaper") ,in my state its a requirement for out of state purchased vehicles.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I only buy from dealers(got burned with buying my first car from " a guy in the newspaper") ,in my state its a requirement for out of state purchased vehicles.
Oh, I understand!

However, do you know that it's possible to damage a bike severely, do "repairs" at home, and then trade that bike in on another bike? Not even the dealer would know that they're selling a crap bike. It happens alllllllll the time.

How would you know if the frame was damaged when you look at a used bike on the dealer floor?

·
Registered
643 Posts
$7k seems a little high. OK if that is an out the door price, but if they are looking to tag on another $1K+ for freight, pid, tax etc. a little more shopping may be in order.

I bought a new 2011 custom last year from a dealer for under $5K

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my 2010 custom as a new old stock in 2013. I paid $6900 down the road. Its real easy to drop a couple grand on aftermarket add-ons. So far i have power commander, air cleaner and exhaust. Also the front overdrive pulley from barons. Set aside some cash next season for tires. The oe dunlops will only last 4-5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
yeah, its currently 6995, after all the "stuff" and taxes, tag, I'm around 8400 so too much right now.
Damn. I got a new/leftover 2009 Classic in late 2010 for $6400 out the door. I know them's 2010 dollars, but $8400 seems high, even with the Custom being a few hundred dollars more than a Classic.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Everyone has an opinion and that's just what it is. I bought my 900 new in 2009 and have 20,000 Km on it. I didn't want to buy someone else's trouble so I bought new.
Great bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah thats what I'm afraid of... its either taking a 10-15 percent drop in value driving it off the lot new knowing everything is original and from the factory, or getting a 'deal' that may cost me down the road because of someones 'tinkering'. thanks for the response

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
yeah thats what I'm afraid of... its either taking a 10-15 percent drop in value driving it off the lot new knowing everything is original and from the factory, or getting a 'deal' that may cost me down the road because of someones 'tinkering'.
Word. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There can be some great deals on new, too. Shop around for leftover models. There's no difference between 13, 14, and 15 900's. You can save thousands buying a brand new '14 or even '13. Often times these are still in crates unassembled. I just pulled the trigger on a 2014 Vaquero that's still in a crate (which is what I'm waiting on), and I saved a huge chunk of change for a bike that is identical to the '15 they had sitting on the showroom floor. (Except that one has been test ridden, sat on, rubbed up against, touched with greasy fingers, etc.!)

That said used isn't the end of the world if you have enough mechanical sense to look it over and the ability to vette the previous owner. I bought my 900 used from an older guy who rode it on occasional weekends, left it bone stock and took it to the dealer for all service and maintenance. Only had a few thousand miles on it. I've bought plenty of used cars though. My most recent car purchase was a factory special order though; and that's really cool! (My name is even on the window sticker. Ha!) I don't like the way dealers 'detail' cars. They use old equipment, dirty tools, etc., and really marr up the paint. It's not a 'detailer' it's some guy making $9 an hour cranking out a car every 20 minutes; when a pro detailer would take several hours. So I instructed the dealer not to prep the car. When it arrived off the truck, I went and picked it up. Still covered in plastic, the keys were in a cardboard box, and I had to take bubble wrap off of the shifter and steering wheel to drive it home. Talk about new!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree.If you have the ability to look a slightly used bike over there are great deals to be had buying used.I always look for one owner,low mileage , bone stock bikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts