Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan 900 Custom
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys would appreciate this story.

Just hit 500 on the new 900CM so I set it up for the break in oil change. Happened to have a couple quarts of Mobil 1 laying around from my old Triumph, so I pour those in first, then top it off with the new Valvoline oil I grabbed. Take a look at the sight glass and I'm puzzled when I keep pouring and checking and pouring and checking but the level has stayed the same for the last half quart, still short of the upper hash marks.

Once I finish the fourth quart I rack my brain for a minute because I know 3 and a half should have been enough. Then I realize the Mobil is a darker, redder color than the traditional color of the Valvoline. The 'bubble' on top of the sight glass isn't a bubble - it's the Valvoline floating on top of the Mobil. I'm over full, so now I have to drain off a half quart, fish the washer back out of the drain pan, clean everything back up, and top it back off.

All is good now, but I need you guys to make a fella feel a little better about his misfortunes. What's are some of the bonehead things you've done with your bike?

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
592 Posts
ummmm.......errrrrrrr......... hmmmmmmmmm

I guess the only bonehead thing I did related to oil was on my first car. I changed the oil and started the car to check for leaks. Oil was everywhere. Soon found the old filter gasket behind the new filter.
Lesson learned and now I always check

·
Registered
274 Posts
Forget bike only.., I was a dishwasher when i was 15 and was doing closing duties. AFTER mopping all the floors my last duty was to drain the french fry oil into a big pot and filter off the crud.

mission accomplished. I pour the clean oil back in but forgot to close the valve! Oil all over my shoes and the kitchen floor. I’m just pouring away and don’t feel it on my feet or see it because my head is leaning way into the fryer watching my pour. I pour the entire pot of oil in. It was only when I stood up
straight I saw my goof. Luckily I didn’t slip snd get hurt.

Took me 3 hours to clean the mess when i thought I was out the door in 15 min!

Real boneheaded 🤣

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
249 Posts
For my first 600 mile break-in oil change I forgot all about the washer. I put the plug back in without it.

Fortunately it never leaked. I didn't install a washer until the first regular oil change...

·
Registered
33 Posts
That first oilchange always goes to the dealer then I do the rest myself she told me to use any brand there all the same as long as it says motorcycle oil.I just pour 3.5 liters in and don;t check it because that's what it takes. On this change I used 10w40 Honda oil because its cheaper by $1 a liter at Walmart Castrol is even cheaper.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
First time I checked the valves on my 900. After putting it back together, I fired her up and she was pouring oil out or the rear valve cover. I had doubled the washer on one bolt and left one without a washer. What a mess!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When I first bought my Classic LT, I bought it with a Kawasaki light bar already installed, which came with turn signals that were different than the stock turn signals. So I put aluminum LED turn signals in them. Very soon the plastic stands inside the turn signals broke under the weight. I originally thought they broke because they were old. So I bought a new pair, paid about $90 for them and put them on, with the new LEDs inside. On the very first ride after I returned, they were broken again, with the LEDs lying in the bottom of the turn signals. I then decided those turn signals were garbage. I then ordered a new stock pair of standard turn signals and made them fit on the light bar. I put the new LEDs in those, and have had no more problems since. I waisted $90 on those cheap garbage turn signals.

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan 900 Custom
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I first bought my Classic LT, I bought it with a Kawasaki light bar already installed, which came with turn signals that were different than the stock turn signals. So I put aluminum LED turn signals in them. Very soon the plastic stands inside the turn signals broke under the weight. I originally thought they broke because they were old. So I bought a new pair, paid about $90 for them and put them on, with the new LEDs inside. On the very first ride after I returned, they were broken again, with the LEDs lying in the bottom of the turn signals. I then decided those turn signals were garbage. I then ordered a new stock pair of standard turn signals and made them fit on the light bar. I put the new LEDs in those, and have had no more problems since. I waisted $90 on those cheap garbage turn signals.
If $90 signals are the worst of your 'I shouldn't have bought that' episodes then I think you've done ok for yourself!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thought you guys would appreciate this story.

Just hit 500 on the new 900CM so I set it up for the break in oil change. Happened to have a couple quarts of Mobil 1 laying around from my old Triumph, so I pour those in first, then top it off with the new Valvoline oil I grabbed. Take a look at the sight glass and I'm puzzled when I keep pouring and checking and pouring and checking but the level has stayed the same for the last half quart, still short of the upper hash marks.

Once I finish the fourth quart I rack my brain for a minute because I know 3 and a half should have been enough. Then I realize the Mobil is a darker, redder color than the traditional color of the Valvoline. The 'bubble' on top of the sight glass isn't a bubble - it's the Valvoline floating on top of the Mobil. I'm over full, so now I have to drain off a half quart, fish the washer back out of the drain pan, clean everything back up, and top it back off.

All is good now, but I need you guys to make a fella feel a little better about his misfortunes. What's are some of the bonehead things you've done with your bike?
I have you beat. I decided to change the oil on my 2004 Nomad and got a very expensive motor oil to fill the bike (Castrol). Unfortunately, because I had not done this in a while, I forgot about getting motorcycle specific oil. Needless to say the wet clutch didn’t like it, and I was forced to change the clutch within a few weeks. Avoid molybdenum and other additives that make oil “slick” which embed in the clutch fibers and cause it to slip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For my first 600 mile break-in oil change I forgot all about the washer. I put the plug back in without it.

Fortunately it never leaked. I didn't install a washer until the first regular oil change...
I just recently learned, you should put a NEW washer in after every oil change, they call them crush washers. Because they get crushed for a titghter fit , they become useless after 1 or 2 uses. They can be ordered in a 10 pack on Amazon , OF COURSE.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just recently learned, you should put a NEW washer in after every oil change, they call them crush washers. Because they get crushed for a titghter fit , they become useless after 1 or 2 uses. They can be ordered in a 10 pack on Amazon , OF COURSE.

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
592 Posts
Just a hint - cars have them too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts