Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 vulcan 500 time to change the drive sprockets was wondering if 17\40 sprockets held a big advantage over the stock 16/42 sprockets. I've had no issues with the stock setup. The bike is a daily commuter bike,40 miles one way, about 3\4 of the trip is 55 mph. I get about 50-55 mpg, and can keep up with traffic rather well (60-65mph). Was only wondering if changing the sprockets had any noticble advantage. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Some may say otherwise, but I have a bike that is set up with a smaller rear sprocket and I notice lower rpms at all speeds and in all gears...I have not insight into whether my mpg has improved or not..I do not notice any difference in acceleration, although I am not claiming there may not be some. I just don't notice any...The lower RPMs make it less buzzy on the highway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big advantage? No, not really.

You get a couple of miles more per tank, but it's not significant. Based on quick reading, average on stock gears is 112 or so miles per tank, I have the 17/40 set up, and I get 120 or so. It will take me a while to recoup the cost of the gears, but I won't go back.

According to www.gearingcommander.com, my fifth gear is about the same as stock sixth. I also don't shift to 6th until ~40 mph anyway.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So I recently learned that the tank might be 4 gallons. Is this true? Because 120mi would translate to 30mpg...

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
So I recently learned that the tank might be 4 gallons. Is this true? Because 120mi would translate to 30mpg...
It is probably 120 miles to Reserve, which is 3 gal. That translates to 40mpg.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is 40mpg considered the norm? I thought I heard some people say they were getting in 50-65 mph range. I myself have seen about 48mpg when I fill to the bottom of the fuel neck and calculate the trip distance and fuel used.

But I do remember having to switch to reserve a little after 100mi last time.

I have an 800 tank, and I believe this supposedly is 4 gallons (thought both tanks were 4).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts