Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a hard job to do?
The bike i'm about to buy seems pretty loud to me, but i dont have experiance with knowing whether it does or doesnt need it.

I am mechanically inclined, i did the rear rocker cover gasket on my 96 1500 myself in my garage on the floor. took a bit of time, but it got done and doesnt leak a bit at all any more.

Just wondering if i should even buy the bike now.

the bike is an 05 V2k with 12.5K miles on it. has been sitting at the shop for quite awhile. as in a year or so.
what do you think?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm ook, i was talking to a guy i know and he seemed to think it had a shim under bucket style. i dont know much of anything when it come to bikes, my main base is v8's. If the bike has sat for quite some time and ticks, you think all it needs is a good ride to loosen it all up and back to normal?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hmm ook, i was talking to a guy i know and he seemed to think it had a shim under bucket style. i dont know much of anything when it come to bikes, my main base is v8's. If the bike has sat for quite some time and ticks, you think all it needs is a good ride to loosen it all up and back to normal?
If it has been sittin 4 awhile u might want 2 change the oil....I would if it was mine.....As far as the ticking they all do that .....Is a Kawi thang.....LOL......:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hydraulic is used the 2000, shim under bucket or shim over bucket is commonly used on double overhead cam engines (motorcycles). While the 2000 has twin cams, the cams are located in the engine block and activated via pushrods. This gives a lower overall engine height, and reduced maintenance. I think the 2000 is the only Kawasaki that has this type of lifters, but not sure.

The ticking noise may be the injectors firing, as hydraulic lifters are very quite and run with zero clearance.

But Taz is spot on about an oil change. I think you will be find just putting some miles on it then. :) Enjoy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Engine Oil
Type: API SE, SF or SG class
API SH or SJ class with JASO MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Amount: 4.4 L (4.7 US qt, when filter is not removed)
4.6 L (4.9 US qt, when filter is removed)
5.5 L (5.8 US qt, when engine is completely
disassembled and dry)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts