Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a lowering kit. I was going to adjust the rear shock, and that thing will not move! I even put a cheater bar on it ( I didn't pull too hard on that-I've damaged things with cheater bars before!). Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
719 Posts
The rear needs to be off the ground to increase the preload. The spring is tight and you really need a large screwdriver of chunk of 3/32" metal to stuff inside the castle. The spring is tougher than the adjuster. Mine is bent to [email protected] - just another problem. Wish I could get an air shock.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I cheat a little with mine. I lift the frame with an ATV lift and then sneak a rag wrench into the hole left when you move the water resevoir. It moves pretty easy. Before I got the rag wrench, I used a big set of water pump pliers.....yeah, redneck...

·
Registered
976 Posts
There is a spanner in your tool kit if you got one with the bike. Two semi circle wrenches and a bent piece of tubing you stick them into. They're designed for the shock.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a spanner in your tool kit if you got one with the bike. Two semi circle wrenches and a bent piece of tubing you stick them into. They're designed for the shock.
I bent the tips on both of the spanners. This sucker is STUBBORN.

This morning I was able to get a pipe wrench on it and adjust it. Even then it was hard to turn.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The rear needs to be off the ground to increase the preload. The spring is tight and you really need a large screwdriver of chunk of 3/32" metal to stuff inside the castle. The spring is tougher than the adjuster. Mine is bent to [email protected] - just another problem. Wish I could get an air shock.
I increased mine from factory to max without lifting the bike, no problems at all, and all I used were the tools from under the seat.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bent the tips on both of the spanners. This sucker is STUBBORN.

This morning I was able to get a pipe wrench on it and adjust it. Even then it was hard to turn.
You did have the rear tire off the ground, right?? Otherwise, good luck. I suppose it could have corroded a bit and could have used a good dose of Liquid Wrench.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah I tried using the tool kit spanners and the bar, no go. I didn't have it on a lift. Whats weird is my first bike a '79 Suzuki GS550 I could turn them by hand, and that bike wasn't a lightweight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts