Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

I have a Clymers manual but the only adjustment covered is the free-play gap of the clutch lever itself. I did that.

The way my clutch works, when I'm starting from a dead stop, I have to release the clutch lever almost all the way out for the clutch to begin engaging (friction). I'd prefer that friction zone to be "in" farther with regards to releasing the clutch lever.

How can I adjust that friction point out a little bit?

CMOS

·
Registered
709 Posts
Having adjusted my clutch to the way I wanted it, about the only way to move the friction zone closer in, is to increase the lever gap. My lever is a bit looser than the manual calls for. I did this to insure that the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is fully released, and it gave me a way to "measure" any wear in my clutch, by experiencing the looseness of the lever. But you have to be careful about this, because you don't want the cable to come off the lever. I moved it just enough to feel just a bit of play in the lever when the clutch is fully engaged.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having adjusted my clutch to the way I wanted it, about the only way to move the friction zone closer in, is to increase the lever gap. My lever is a bit looser than the manual calls for. I did this to insure that the clutch is fully engaged when the lever is fully released, and it gave me a way to "measure" any wear in my clutch, by experiencing the looseness of the lever. But you have to be careful about this, because you don't want the cable to come off the lever. I moved it just enough to feel just a bit of play in the lever when the clutch is fully engaged.
This is what I thought would have to happen. Thanks.

As a new rider I'm practicing slow speed turns and U-turns using the friction zone, however since I have to just about fully extend the clutch lever to get in that zone, it's awkward and not very efficient. I will try to increase the lever gap a bit and see how that feels.

CMOS

·
Registered
341 Posts
That makes sense.
Using a little rear brake can help with the slow speed moves too.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Keep in mind that if you over compensate for this setting, you won't completely disengage the clutch and this will cause shifting problems. Being a new rider I wouldn't recommend trying to second guess the engineers that designed your bike.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expanded the lever gap just out of the manual's spec. It's much better now.

@SteveJB - I see your point. Noted. All is working and riding well now.

CMOS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts