Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone adjusted the Drive Belt on their VN900LT?

What are the odds the belt stays centred on the rear Pulley?

Besides the book calling for next to know deflection, where did you leave it?

When do you call it a day...

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard.

Is your belt laying to the outside of the rear Pelley?

Do you feel any vibrations due to the belt rubbing it'ss edges on the Pulley?

Denis

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I get, on very slow deceleration, a slight vibration in the butt and on the feet. Not huge just enough to know its there. I've tried multiple times to get the belt off the outside edge. It doesn't squeak or anything. I'm on both marks groove 3 counting from the front. This is also where it was before I took it off to install the new tires. Today I cleaned both pulllies teeth. The rear was a bit dirty. I also cleanned the belt. Everything looks good. I'm not so sure the little vibe comes from the belt. Could be the motor vibes. I've got new tires on and new brakes. Could be all of those things. Perhaps I need to let things wear in.

Can't remember what it felt like before I changed the tires. Maybe it's the way it's always been but I don't seem to remember that feeling.

·
Registered
578 Posts
sounds like your aligned right but a bit too tight. I'm on the third mark also or there abouts. The first time I put things back together after I went to the 200 tire I had things just a bit too tight and got a vibration on decel below 40 to about 25, loosened up just slightly and it went away. Probably not doing any damage but it drove me crazy to feel it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Know exactly what your talking about. Drives one nuts. I took her out today and felt good. I'm going North on Wednesday. 7 hr run. Got a couple of days driving to work before then. The 7 there will tell me something. I can adjust if need be. Or the 14 hrs return trip. I saw a Yamaha 950 at the dealers the other day. I thought our Kawi belts were tight. This thing made ours look amazingly loose. Wow.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Richard,

I've still got a slight vibration. When I raise the wheel so that I can spin it by hand, I get a vibration on the left wishbone. I removed rear brake, front pulley cover and same thing. I don't feel the vibrations anywhere else. I loosen the axle nut and vibrations are a bit less but still there. The belt is not rubbing on the sides of the pulley. The alignment is pretty much the same on both sides. A hair away from the 3rd notch. Do you figure it's still tension? Bad bearing? Balancing?

I recently replaced the tires myself and did the balancing the DIY method using Jack stands as a support for the tire axle. This thing is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't think you would feel a ballance problem at that slow a speed, could be bearing but that you would feel {and hear} at any speed. I read the other day on the other forum that you can apply parafin wax to the belt and pulley to stop some rubbing noises, might try that before taking anything apart again. I feel you pain, things like this drive me nuts too, and taking everything loose to make adjustments isn't exactly simple either.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi Richard,

I've still got a slight vibration. When I raise the wheel so that I can spin it by hand, I get a vibration on the left wishbone. I removed rear brake, front pulley cover and same thing. I don't feel the vibrations anywhere else. I loosen the axle nut and vibrations are a bit less but still there. The belt is not rubbing on the sides of the pulley. The alignment is pretty much the same on both sides. A hair away from the 3rd notch. Do you figure it's still tension? Bad bearing? Balancing?

I recently replaced the tires myself and did the balancing the DIY method using Jack stands as a support for the tire axle. This thing is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Denis
I would check my bearings. There should be very minimal to no play, axial(side to side), on the inner race. Also, a bearing can become elliptical(kinda egg shaped) on the outer race from an over tight chain or belt or any heavy loads over a period to time. You may hear no noise.

These sealed ball bearings are nowhere near as robust as the old roller bearings, but they are cheap to make and you don't have to keep them greased which is good and bad. Especially if you pressure wash your bike around the wheels or ride in the rain alot. Water does get in.

Most are made in China. Even on the great American brand.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

Great info.

This whole thing drove me to the point of questioning everything. I decided to bring my bike to the dealer and have it properly balanced. Did both wheels and at the same time did the belt tightning. $100.00 later and the bike is worst than it was. Now I've got vibrations in the handle bar floorboards, da da, dada. I feel things on acceleration, deceleration etc. At 60 - 70 my odometer numbers and mirrors slightly shake. Over these speeds...well forget it. Things just don't feel goog at all. It was much better before I took it in.

The balancing they did added weight galore to both front and rear wheels. They more than doubled what I had. On the rear they placed 6 (7g) weights all to one side and directly at the valve stem. Front they added 4 weights.

The belt is so taunt that when the bike is lifted up so that I can freely turn the back wheel, I can only do so by getting my fingers into the groves well below the tire and pulling with a hard pull. At that I'm lucky to get a full turn of the wheel. It looks as though the shop also tightened the axel down way too tight. I don't get Kawi's rating of 1.5mm deflection at 10lbs?! I'm still getting this strange drrr sound that can be heard/felt on the back "wishbone frame" left hand side and now my luggage rack.

The wheel spacers have been grease all the way inside of them to the outside against the forks/nut mounts instead to the bearing seals gasket. You can see oil dripping from the outter parts of the front wheel spacers.

My back pulley wobbles quite a bit. Have you guys noticed this? Looks like my belt goes all over the place. At different stops along a run I can find it in the centre, on the eoutter edge, etc. I don't understand the wobble. If I cup the pulley and try to pull/ push side to side it doesn't budge. With the bearings, shaft, etc...how can it wobble this way? How can the belt move this way? Something just doesn't meet the eye.

Needless to say I'm in despair. This thing is crushing me so that I'm losing the inner gift of motorcycling. I don't want to ride anymore.

For now I've ordered the "Marc Parnes" balancer system (www.marcparnes.com) and awaiting it's arrival. I'm going to redo both wheels. I'm going to video tape it as well to show the M/C shop owner. I'm also going to take apart the back wheel and inspect everything. Pulley, bearings, Coupler,rubbers,etc. Something is just not right. If you guys haven't seen this site www.bikebandit.com check it out for a great parts breakdown amongst other things.

Have you guys done any "Runout" tests on axel/rims/rotors/etc?

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks for keeping on with this thread I can use all the info/support.

Denis

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi guys,

Great info.

This whole thing drove me to the point of questioning everything. I decided to bring my bike to the dealer and have it properly balanced. Did both wheels and at the same time did the belt tightning. $100.00 later and the bike is worst than it was. Now I've got vibrations in the handle bar floorboards, da da, dada. I feel things on acceleration, deceleration etc. At 60 - 70 my odometer numbers and mirrors slightly shake. Over these speeds...well forget it. Things just don't feel goog at all. It was much better before I took it in.

The balancing they did added weight galore to both front and rear wheels. They more than doubled what I had. On the rear they placed 6 (7g) weights all to one side and directly at the valve stem. Front they added 4 weights.

The belt is so taunt that when the bike is lifted up so that I can freely turn the back wheel, I can only do so by getting my fingers into the groves well below the tire and pulling with a hard pull. At that I'm lucky to get a full turn of the wheel. It looks as though the shop also tightened the axel down way too tight. I don't get Kawi's rating of 1.5mm deflection at 10lbs?! I'm still getting this strange drrr sound that can be heard/felt on the back "wishbone frame" left hand side and now my luggage rack.

The wheel spacers have been grease all the way inside of them to the outside against the forks/nut mounts instead to the bearing seals gasket. You can see oil dripping from the outter parts of the front wheel spacers.

My back pulley wobbles quite a bit. Have you guys noticed this? Looks like my belt goes all over the place. At different stops along a run I can find it in the centre, on the eoutter edge, etc. I don't understand the wobble. If I cup the pulley and try to pull/ push side to side it doesn't budge. With the bearings, shaft, etc...how can it wobble this way? How can the belt move this way? Something just doesn't meet the eye.

Needless to say I'm in despair. This thing is crushing me so that I'm losing the inner gift of motorcycling. I don't want to ride anymore.

For now I've ordered the "Marc Parnes" balancer system (www.marcparnes.com) and awaiting it's arrival. I'm going to redo both wheels. I'm going to video tape it as well to show the M/C shop owner. I'm also going to take apart the back wheel and inspect everything. Pulley, bearings, Coupler,rubbers,etc. Something is just not right. If you guys haven't seen this site www.bikebandit.com check it out for a great parts breakdown amongst other things.

Have you guys done any "Runout" tests on axel/rims/rotors/etc?

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks for keeping on with this thread I can use all the info/support.

Denis
Sounds like you need to find a mechanic who knows what he is doing.

The wobble could be from a bad bearing in the wheel or swingarm, something bent or misalignment of the belt. My belt doesn't wobble.

Does the shop you take it to have an electronic wheel balancer or do they statically balance? Both systems are good, but that depends on the competency of the wrench.

If oil is dripping from the front axle either the mechanic dipped the axle in oil before he installed it. DAAAAHHHH? or somehow things have been tightened or put back together wrong and the wheel bearings are heating up so much they are leaking oil. If that is so they are ruined or will cause you problems at some future date. Or somehow they cracked the fork and it is leaking. I don't think you want to be riding with leaking oil all over your front tire and brakes.

I have done runout checks before, but you will need a few special tools like a dial indicator and a moveable attachment plus either fabricate or buy a wheel runout stand. You can do a quick visual check by pulling the wheel, find a rod that will fit through the wheels bearing about 2 feet long or so and set it up on some jack stands and give it a whirl. If something is badly out of whack you should be able to see it.

Your mechanic has only added to your woes. Sorry, it is had to diagnose without seeing it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is it possible to get belt whine with a loose belt? I was noticing it (the little baby chika chika) so I loosened it a bit. Went to just before the 3rd hash mark on each side. I still hear it, comes and goes. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Agree with Ash on this, your mech. did you no good at all, {stories like yours are why my bike has never been to a shop} Sounds like you are doing it right, its alot of work but take it all the way back and start new. If you havn't gotten the shop manual you should, it helps alot. good luck with the project, don't let it get you down, when you figure it out and get it dialed in you will have that much more pride in your ride and ability to fix it yourself.
I have a slight wobble at the rear pulley after the last tire change, but I dont feel it at all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the encouragement.

I will definitely keep you all posted. I do have the actual Kawi shop manual.

Stay tuned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts