Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like some tutorial on adjusting the rear shock for weight with and without a passenger, and is it necessary? I have some back problems and the new bike seems to make my back ache. I am 160lbs. and the roads in flint suck, lots of potholes and huge bumps. Is the factory set ideal? And with my wife, we are just under 290 lbs. together and should it be adjusted when we ride together?

Thanks for the time,

Later,
Darknight

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shocking

I adjusted mine from the factory setting of 4 to 6 because the wife and I together are well over 300lbs.I'm 220lbs. and the potholes kill me even when I ride alone. I could not really tell much difference but the wife said she could tell it was smoother.You did not say what you were riding but this is the 900 fourum.It's easy to adjust, try a few different settings and see what works best.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, 09 Vn 900 custom se, so its a softer ride the higher the number or the reverse?

Later,
Darknight

·
Registered
25 Posts
The higher the number the stronger the spring.Number 1 position is on the right side of the shock looking over the belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just went to the 6 setting ,I,m 195lbs.AT first I started going lower till @ one ,what I didn,t realise is that I was bottoming out & it tends to buck its hard to tell if its bottoming out or just to stiff.I might go back to 5 but not sure yet.I feel your pain , these Genesee county roads are bad.Also the seat don't help.I wish some one like Progressive would come out with a gas shock to fit this bike

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jace thanks, That looks like a nice shock kinda pricey but if it rides nice & takes the buck out of this 900 it would be worth it.If they would make one with out the damper adjust it would be more affordable

·
Registered
941 Posts
That was weird. I read your post via email. then when I went to reply online it was different. then I saw you edited it.

I can't remember when it was exactly but Progressive had requested someone to "borrow" them their bike for fitment for the shocks and springs. one of the members on here was lucky enuf to live close to them and brought it in. so he got it all free. when I get to a real a computer I will try to find it. but I know he said he liked It a lot.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I put mine on a stiffer setting when new, but found it still worked best on the factory setting for me and my wife.
However.... The Mustang seat has changed our lives.
Smooth ride...no more jarring bumps and potholes!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bumped my Custom from four to six and it seems better for me. Just use the tools in the kit that came with the bike and it is easy. You do need to remove the left side cover and the coolant reservoir. Not hard at all if you follow the instructions in the manual.

Yes it is true, Michigan roads leave a lot to be desired until you get up North.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts