Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know about idle adjustment screw on the right hand side, but is there anyway to actually tell what it is idling at after it warms up of course. to me it just sounds like it's idling higher then it should. I read the idle is supposed to be around 950 rpm, but I don't know of anyway to tell. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
On this bike, the idle should be set to 1000 RPM, +/-50.

You can use a diagnostic tachometer like this one to measure it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On this bike, the idle should be set to 1000 RPM, +/-50.

You can use a diagnostic tachometer like this one to measure it.
For $189 I think you can have the dealer do it several times.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Use your charging system. At idle you should have 13.2v-13.4v charging at the battery. This will set you at the correct rpm as well. Wait until the high idle has settled down, or take it for a run and get it to operating temp. Then check it when you get back and set it. They do idle a bit high, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Use your charging system. At idle you should have 13.2v-13.4v charging at the battery. This will set you at the correct rpm as well. Wait until the high idle has settled down, or take it for a run and get it to operating temp. Then check it when you get back and set it. They do idle a bit high, nothing wrong with that.
Nice! Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to figure out if my tach is correct or not, this will give me some idea. It seems to be correct although I have yet to run the bike completely to red line.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are cheapie eBay ones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181700702473?lpid=82&chn=ps

They work. Actually, what I used was an old aftermarket tach from a car I used to own (Mercury Cougar), an autometer tach, and just crimped some alligator clips onto it and turned it into a diagnostic tach. Had it laying around the garage; why not!

The voltage thing might get you in the ballpark but there are SO many variables that can pull voltage one way or another.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
True! In my case with many aftermarket accessories tho I want to know that I am also charging enough all the time. I also have the Kuryakyn battery meter installed for at a glance peace of mind at any time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
For $189 I think you can have the dealer do it several times.
Well, that's true - but he asked how he could do it, so I told him.

Eh, that's assuming that the charging system is operating properly, and that nothing else is placing any draw on it.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Having installed the Tach I must say that the idle changes quite a bit on this bike depending on the temp and relative humidity. Seems the humidity has the most effect on it that I can tell. Some days it tries to go to 800 and I reach down and crank it up a little, other times its at 1200 and I have to dial it back. Also ANY fueling adjustments you make throw it off and you have to start recalibrating all over again. So in short, spend the cash buy a tach.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Well, that's true - but he asked how he could do it, so I told him.

Eh, that's assuming that the charging system is operating properly, and that nothing else is placing any draw on it.
True! That's the very reason I use this method tho too. I want to know I am always charging the battery. It's advice that was given to me by Sfair when I bought it because the PO had the idle so low the FI light was on all the time at low idle. Assume he wanted that Harley sound, or ruin the engine. Hard to say which. I don't feel the need for a tach or gear indicator. I have a tach on the Harley and I rarely look at it. Basically only when I start it up and set the enrichener for the warm up. After that I forget all about it. Different stokes for different folks is all. Peace!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shop Tach

I didn't want to permanently mount a tachometer so I got one for shop use only. Here's the one I got:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045L9GA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

It works by wrapping a lead around a spark plug wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts