Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might sound really weird... but it's for discussion purposes :)

I've been reading a lot in the forums on debaffling, and how a lot of people say you can't go back when you debaffle and to try it in stages..

I fully agree you can't go back after a full debaffle.

my thoughts are on the hole drilling stages

seems to me since you are drilling holes in your exhaust, that if you have access to a tap and die kit that you could tap these holes and then if you don't like the sound you could put a machine screw or bolt back into them to close off the holes to restore the sound back to factory? (with a high heat glue/sealant/liquid gasket on the threads of course)

this is just a thought

Also you could kind of tune your sound this way

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds good but could be dangerous. A friend had a screw rust off in his V&H pipes a few years ago and when he fired the bike up, the baffle shot across his garage. Scared the crap out of him!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good but could be dangerous. A friend had a screw rust off in his V&H pipes a few years ago and when he fired the bike up, the baffle shot across his garage. Scared the crap out of him!
For sure, I can totally relate to that, thats why I figured a high heat loctite or mabye even jbweld might work, fully cured it would be nice and solid.

safety first of course :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you have a great idea.

I've put baffles in drag pipes for years. I drill a hole in the backside of the pipe to pass a bolt through. The trick here is to use some anti seize paste on the bolt threads. You can also use stainless steel hardware. Use washers and lock nuts.

The previous owner drilled out the plates on the ends of my exhaust. The baffles are still in place. He gave me the plates he removed. Sounds pretty good though.

I'm thinking about enlarging the holes on the plates to see if I can reuse them. Self tapping stainless steel screws might do the trick. This is my first fuel injected bike and I would like to experiment some.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts
A similar thought goes back to the moonshine running days of pre-NASCAR...

Performance vs slipping by the Feds...

I saw this about 3-4 years ago...

Internal combustion engines and guys wanting to "tune" their own exhaust be it for performance or sneeking out their girlfriends at 3:00 am...

Check this out...kinda crude...but funny !!!

Luckymann77

https://youtu.be/hbxfMwKJfy0

·
Registered
51 Posts
A similar thought goes back to the moonshine running days of pre-NASCAR...
Luckymann77

https://youtu.be/hbxfMwKJfy0
That was so cool. I like to see folks experiment with stuff. He made that old Honda 400 sound great.

He could have saved some time and trouble buy using his first design. He would have just had to drill a hole in his adjustable baffle and just use the pipe. It doesn't have to be airtight.

In the 1960's, Honda used to have "lolipops" in the end of their mufflers. Basically a bolt with a washer welded to the end.

He wanted to keep the original muffler in place and I can see the reasoning behind that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts