Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Rather slick looking headlight. Would love to see it on a custom! Our headlight... well... it leaves a bit to be desired, especially on the low beam, eh?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i always felt that the headlight on the custom was a bit boxy and didnt flow well with the rest of the bike. i like the longer look as well as the flames...and the cross looking lamp is slick....just have zero experiance with changing the headlight on a mc. and its is like 2 inches
longer so im not sure about fitting it easily.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks cool and the price isnt bad either ...im leaning towards getting it .....any one know how to align the headlight properly....i know you can park a certain distance from a garage door and measure it but dont know the distance or the mesurement

·
Registered
176 Posts
ronc09
If your handy with fabricating simple brackets, this shouldn't be a problem.
This headlight probably mounts with a single 5/16" or 3/8" threaded stud that has a pivot point that bolts to bottom of headlight bracket pictured. This arrangement gives you adjustment left and right or up and down. Kawasaki housing has a 2 bolt bracket that bolts to the triple tree, making the headlight housing stationary.
The other thing to consider is these type of headlights are used on custom bikes that typically minimize the wiring and try to keep wire harnesses small and hidden. There is probably only a small hole in back of headlight to bring in a three wire harness to power headlight. Your Kawasaki headlight has a fairly big opening in the back to bring in a larger wiring harness. So you might have to open up whatever hole they have in the headlight for this harness. Not a big deal, just have to be good with tools and take your time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i went ahead and ordered the headlight today, couldnt pass up the price since most lights ive seen are around $300 or so and they r getting $80 just for the bulb. I will post pics when i get it all installed. in the mean time how about all og you with aftermarket headlight post some pics and any info or tips on mounting or wiring.

·
Registered
941 Posts
looks cool and the price isnt bad either ...im leaning towards getting it .....any one know how to align the headlight properly....i know you can park a certain distance from a garage door and measure it but dont know the distance or the mesurement
I have always done it this way.
1. Pull up to the wall or door and get as close as possible. Now make a mark on the wall at the brightest point of the light on the wall.
2. Then back up 20 feet from the wall to the front of the bike. Obvisously the ground should be level. And you want to back up as square as possible to the wall. Now the brightest point of your light should be about a inch below the mark you made before.
3. If you have the extra driving lights on your bike. They should be done the same. (But in my opinion they should be kept level, keeping the brightest point on the mark. But spread them out a little. Making the right one go about a inch to the right of the mark and the left one go about a inch to the left of the mark. This way they will give you a wider beam. Good for lighting up the ditches and woods, for them damn deer. Shine em while they are in the trees, not in the road.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info......light is scheduled for delivery tommorrow. so depending on weather and when i get home i may start the install tommorrow.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Know a guy at work that put something like that on a VTX 1300 really looked good, stuck way out, he had a mounting plate milled from aluminum.

+1 on the wiring bundle.

As far as the stock bulb, very dim, replaced mine with WAGNER BP1210 80/100, NAPA stocks them, direct replacement(disclamer: designed for off road use only), but i have a classic so check first.

Good luck and keep us informed, and "NO PICS, IT DID NOT HAPPEN"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really nice light.

DSCN1360.JPG
Just make sure that you have the right mount and braket to install.
I replaced factory with a Victory Hammer light with (2) HID's. I had to find a used post and modify exisiting bracket not including the wiring mods...So worth it!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i got the light today and i must say it is way nicer then i had even expected. how ever it didnt come till 6 pm and we had a months worth of rain in one day ...so i didnt get to installing it. The light came with the center block mount and pinch bolt. hoping i can just drill a new hole in the center on the stock bracket, going to be tight i think but it look like it will work. Any close up pics of your install gmoore? what was involved with the wiring ? i havent even looked at that yet

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will try to take some close ups of the mount and bracket tomorrow.
Wiring: I had to remove stock wire's from harness which includes the one wire for High, low and ground. I had to than transfer that to two seperate setups for two HID's one for Low (cool blue) and one for High (White) While I had every thing apart I tucked all running light wires etc... inside chrome neck and had enough room to tuck ballast in headlight so I only have one wire visible and feeding the headlight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are some close ups

I was able to drill a hole in the existing bracket, use the 3 bolt bracket from inside original light to hold the two running light wires (like stock) and just install new post for moun
light 1.jpg

light 2.jpg

light 3.jpg ting headlight. See pics.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool thanks for the pics...unfortunatly i didnt get to the light today either......12 inchesof rain in two days, my road is washed away in onedirection ...the lake over the road in another and about a foot of water in the basment has kept me busy....maybe tommorrow

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have wanted to put that victory light on my bike since I got it but have had no idea how to do the mount thanks for the post. I would like mine to sit a little lower but it doesn't look like thats possible, thanks for the update though

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i finally got around to installing the new headlight was a pretty simple install.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Nice! Snazzy sort of minimalist look, well chosen!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts