Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my trip in Canada last summer I felt noticeable lag in performance when using 90 octane (best I could get).

We gassed up as soon as we crossed the border to NY and I immediately noticed the improvement 93 gas made.

Has anybody used 104+ Octane Boost or similar to make up the difference, if so how many ounces per gallon are needed to jack the octane 3 points

·
Registered
537 Posts
Octane Boost is not for adding performance ! It is to slow down the burn in combustion chamber to alleviate knock or detonation ping ! If you want a bit more boost, stick with regular gas. The compression ratio is generally 9/1 stock and best suited for reg gas unless you have a PING, then it is best to resolve the root cause, if possible than to try to drown the symptom with additives.
My too sense worth

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Yes, higher octane gas is really only needed for stock bikes set up way lean from the factory to meet EPA standards. The higher octane gas burns slower and not as quite as hot as lower octane, allowing a leaner mix. And FWIW, I found that Husky stations in Canada sell 94 Octane gas. But I don't burn it anymore since I redid the intake, jets and exhaust. I actually get better performance and better mileage with 87 octane. High octane gas seems to gum up the works after awhile.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool guys thanks for the input, much appreciated

·
Registered
563 Posts
Living in Manitoba the best I can get is 91 octane - I usually stick to Shell stations whenever I can, as experience has taught me that the smaller, non-major brands premium gas is often stale, and no better than regular grade gasoline. With Shell my bike runs just fine, when it gets hot out in July and August and I can't find a Shell, I keep a bottle of octane boost in my saddlebag as my bike will start to ping on cheaper off-brand gasoline. Just add it according to the instructions on the bottle and it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Husky/Mohawk gas is E10.
That's good to know. Not that I run premium anymore anyway. Is that for all their gas?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
All major gas stations in Ontario run 87, 89 and 91, Sunoco also runs up to 94. Get into the boonies and it may be a different story, get into Manitoba and their transportation usually runs on hay. (sorry hockey ref.)

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Most of the gas in Washinbgton state and some of it in Idaho is "up to" 10%, whatever that means. I try to find stations that have straight gas with no ethanol, but they're getting harder to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts