Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I've finally bought a windshield and have found some threads of members complaining about 'buffeting'...

My windshield is not installed yet so I have no idea really if I will even feel the head wobbling effect.

Most threads I've found on installing lowers was from members who were 5'5" and shorter...give or take a few inches.

So my question is, is this a problem only with shorter riders or will I (being 6' without boots on) feel the buffeting as well?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The buffeting that they're talking about doesn't come from over the windshield, but rather from under and around the sides of the tank. That's why lots of guys will add the lowers... it deflects the air coming from underneath. Makes quite a big difference actually.

Some time when you're riding around with just the windshield on, put your hand around the front of the tank and feel all the wind pushing through that area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The buffeting that they're talking about doesn't come from over the windshield, but rather from under and around the sides of the tank. That's why lots of guys will add the lowers... it deflects the air coming from underneath. Makes quite a big difference actually.

Some time when you're riding around with just the windshield on, put your hand around the front of the tank and feel all the wind pushing through that area.
I agree with Lelek 52. I am 5'8" and had a bunch of wind coming from around the tank and not over it. I lowered the windshield as low as it would go and the wind just touches the top of my helmet. You 6'ers or so may need to play with the height of the windshield.
I added the lowers and it cut the wind coming up my waist and chest by 50-70 percent and thats a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). But there is a huge difference in the amount of wind I feel now.

Also I feel Im getting better MPG since I dont have all that wind coming around. I did switch from 93 octane to 87 octane gas, since that was the suggestion of this forum and that may have had something to do with the MPG also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same problem with wind buffetting after installing a windshield, so recently bought a set of lowers to try to solve the problem. I haven't installed them yet, but will this weekend. Hopefully, they will do the trick.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have them and I"m 6'2". Got tired of my helmet getting batted around. I would ride with earplugs in and my Boosterroo on the speedo bezel, the wire to my earphones was usually straight up in front of my face in the wind. Now it does rise up from time to time but rarely.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought my memphis shade's fat 17" and went for a nice highway scoot and ordered the lowers as soon as I got home. I'm 5'10" and if I where to rate 100% being unbareable I would say for me at least with just the windshield it was 75% being okay for a couple of hrs at a time. With that said I just returned from a 3300km trip last week and I am happy with both the windshield and lowers together.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I did switch from 93 octane to 87 octane gas, since that was the suggestion of this forum and that may have had something to do with the MPG also.
OK you switched from 93 to 87 and your MPG increased? Did I read this correctly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK you switched from 93 to 87 and your MPG increased? Did I read this correctly?
Yes, you read correctly.

I had been under the assumption that I needed 91 or better, according to the way I read the manual. I had misread the "RON" factor in the manual. I have been running 93 for two years now since my area doesn’t have 91, it has 89 then jumps to 93. After reading portions of this forum I read the manual again and discovered what the forum was talking about. You can research the "what type of gas should I use" portion of the form. There are huge amounts of information there.

I ride 25 miles one way to work every day I can. Same road, the same conditions, with traffic and without. After switching to 87 octane my mileage went up by 2-4 mpg. No kidding. I have been doing that road for 18 months.

I was getting 45 -47 mpg prior, now I am getting 48-50 and the only thing that changed was the octane.

On interstate trips, using my throttle lock I average 65 uphill and 75 ish down hill for 70 miles at a time. I draft when I can and pass when I need to. That’s my routine every time. I was getting 40-43 Prior to switching octane. I went to Shreveport LA and Bartlesville Ok in the last month, 1100 miles combined and averaged, on both trips, 46 mpg. I don’t know what else to credit the increase of mpg to.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Higher Octane isn't 'Better' it's just designed for a higher compression engine. But as usual with everything else in advertisement they've sold folks on 'it's better' forever. In fact, if your motor is designed to run on the lower octane, like our 900 is, higher octane fuel will just make it build up carbon deposits all the quicker.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another 6'2" here that added lowers to a 900LT. I still get a little buffeting but its not nearly as bad as it was. I have my windshield adjusted all the way down so I can look just over it and still getting a little wind on top of helmet and coming around tank. I could probably reduce it a bit more with some more windshield adjustment and larger lowers but they touch my Cobra engine guard now so would have to notch them to go any larger.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, you read correctly.

I had been under the assumption that I needed 91 or better, according to the way I read the manual. I had misread the "RON" factor in the manual. I have been running 93 for two years now since my area doesn’t have 91, it has 89 then jumps to 93. After reading portions of this forum I read the manual again and discovered what the forum was talking about. You can research the "what type of gas should I use" portion of the form. There are huge amounts of information there.

I ride 25 miles one way to work every day I can. Same road, the same conditions, with traffic and without. After switching to 87 octane my mileage went up by 2-4 mpg. No kidding. I have been doing that road for 18 months.

I was getting 45 -47 mpg prior, now I am getting 48-50 and the only thing that changed was the octane.

On interstate trips, using my throttle lock I average 65 uphill and 75 ish down hill for 70 miles at a time. I draft when I can and pass when I need to. That’s my routine every time. I was getting 40-43 Prior to switching octane. I went to Shreveport LA and Bartlesville Ok in the last month, 1100 miles combined and averaged, on both trips, 46 mpg. I don’t know what else to credit the increase of mpg to.
I have been using 93 octane for 6600 miles. I know the manual says 91 RON or better. After reading your post I wanted to figure out when the RON is equal to the way the USA rates octane. I found this chart on wiki.

Fuel RON MON AKI
hexadecane < -30
n-octane -10
n-heptane (RON and MON 0 by definition) 0 0 0
diesel fuel 15–25
2-methylheptane 23
n-hexane 25 26 26
2-methylhexane 44
1-heptene 60
n-pentane 62
requirement for a typical two-stroke outboard engine[7] 69 65 67
1-pentene 34
n-butanol 92 71 83
n-butane 91
"regular" gasoline in Canada and the US 91–92 82–83 87

"EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" or "Regular unleaded" in UK 95 85–86 90–91
"premium" gasoline in Indonesia 90
"premium" gasoline in the US 97-98 88–89 93
"SuperPlus" in Germany, Great Britain and Slovenia 98 89–90 93–94
iso-octane (RON and MON 100 by definition) 100 100 100
benzene 101
"BP Ultimate 102"[8] 102 93–94 97–98
t-butanol 103 91 97
ethane 108
propane 110
toluene 111 95 103
E85 gasoline 100-105[9]
xylene 117
isopropanol 118 98 108
ethanol 129 116 122
methanol 133 105 119
methane 135 122 129
hydrogen* > 130 very low[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

then I was like :eek: I had got into discussions on this forum last season about this and opinions were all over the place.

With my VN750 and EN450 I used 93 octane because they were 10.7:1 and 11.3:1 compression respectively. I know the 903 is only 9.5:1 which it it were an iron head engine it would almost certainly require 93 octane. I figured with the long advance curve that the 900 has that running premium was a good idea.

Long story short I filled up today and although I couldn't bring myself to run 87 I did fill up with 89 octane. I did notice the exhaust smells different and oddly enough, maybe I am imagining this, but it seems to run smoother up through the gears. :confused: I'll keep an eye on the fuel mileage and cold starts etc. I averaged 42mpg around town and upper 40's on trips. The last trip was 48mpg.

I will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been using 93 octane for 6600 miles. I know the manual says 91 RON or better. After reading your post I wanted to figure out when the RON is equal to the way the USA rates octane. I found this chart on wiki.

Fuel RON MON AKI
hexadecane < -30
n-octane -10
n-heptane (RON and MON 0 by definition) 0 0 0
diesel fuel 15–25
2-methylheptane 23
n-hexane 25 26 26
2-methylhexane 44
1-heptene 60
n-pentane 62
requirement for a typical two-stroke outboard engine[7] 69 65 67
1-pentene 34
n-butanol 92 71 83
n-butane 91
"regular" gasoline in Canada and the US 91–92 82–83 87

"EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" or "Regular unleaded" in UK 95 85–86 90–91
"premium" gasoline in Indonesia 90
"premium" gasoline in the US 97-98 88–89 93
"SuperPlus" in Germany, Great Britain and Slovenia 98 89–90 93–94
iso-octane (RON and MON 100 by definition) 100 100 100
benzene 101
"BP Ultimate 102"[8] 102 93–94 97–98
t-butanol 103 91 97
ethane 108
propane 110
toluene 111 95 103
E85 gasoline 100-105[9]
xylene 117
isopropanol 118 98 108
ethanol 129 116 122
methanol 133 105 119
methane 135 122 129
hydrogen* > 130 very low[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

then I was like :eek: I had got into discussions on this forum last season about this and opinions were all over the place.

With my VN750 and EN450 I used 93 octane because they were 10.7:1 and 11.3:1 compression respectively. I know the 903 is only 9.5:1 which it it were an iron head engine it would almost certainly require 93 octane. I figured with the long advance curve that the 900 has that running premium was a good idea.

Long story short I filled up today and although I couldn't bring myself to run 87 I did fill up with 89 octane. I did notice the exhaust smells different and oddly enough, maybe I am imagining this, but it seems to run smoother up through the gears. :confused: I'll keep an eye on the fuel mileage and cold starts etc. I averaged 42mpg around town and upper 40's on trips. The last trip was 48mpg.

I will report back with my findings.
Great post with way to much information for me though.

I copied and pasted a quote from another post, just in case you haven't read it, that made me really look into what gas to use. It didn't matter to me the cost really, but the information was thought provoking. I researched and decided to try one tank at a time to see the results.
My results are better mpg, no knocking and pinging, engine sounds fine and still runs just as smooth with no problems. for the first 24,000 miles I used 93 octane, hopefully I don’t have the carbon deposits it is being suggested that I may have.

Quote I copied from Cajual on an earlier post from another discussion.

Let me clear something up for you guys.

Under the seat (I just checked) the fuel subsection says: Fuel (RON) 91

Do not get this confused with the American octane rating system. The American system utilizes (RON+MON)/2 to achieve PON, which is the number you will see at pumps. Without delving into the math, the cheat-chart afforded on numerous octane rating sites says specifically:

Type of Fuel
"regular" gasoline in Canada and the US

RON
91–92

MON
82–83

PON

Therefore, the 91, achieved via RON, is the equivalent of 87 octane AMERICAN STANDARD fuel.

Good luck with the octane test and keep me posted as to what you discover.

·
Registered
445 Posts
How dose talking about lowers change to gas

I'm reading this thread about adding lowers and wind around tank and now it's about octane and stupid RON. Quit stealing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm reading this thread about adding lowers and wind around tank and now it's about octane and stupid RON. Quit stealing.
Sorry, some of us had A...(squirrel!!!) ...DD

·
Registered
445 Posts
Alright cruiser well let you have a pass this time :D. But I'm trying to decide on buying lowers or trying to make my own and just buying mounting hardware.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Alright cruiser well let you have a pass this time :D. But I'm trying to decide on buying lowers or trying to make my own and just buying mounting hardware.
Unless you have a light bar that mounts the turn signals downward such as the Kawi set up you can use the Memphis Shades style lowers. They are pretty reasonable. As soon as I get a few bucks ahead I am going to do that myself. They look good too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Octane update:

Well this tankful I rode fairly aggressive and it seemed to be doing well for MPG. Normally with the 93 octane I average around 40-42 MPG. With this tank I was 43.1 MPG with 89 octane. I will try to drive conservative this week and see what I get. There may be something to this. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts