Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking and thinking about where to mount some buttons, first I'm going to be installing a garage door opener on my bike and then once I finish adding some lights possibly a cut off switch for them.
one of these momentary buttons:

on the right side cover about here, it's out of the way i don't have a difficult reach to push it, easy place to mount the original garage door opener on the inside, and I don't think it will be an eye sore.

I'd like some feedback or would like to see what you all have done.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Good idea, but you might want to look for a marine style. If you get into a heavy rainstorm, you won't want water getting in around the button.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks like a good spot to me! Man...that's a biiiig air cleaner...:eek:
You could hide a switch behind there for sure.

+1 on spending a few extra bones on a marine (weather resistant) switch.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
So I've been looking and thinking about where to mount some buttons, first I'm going to be installing a garage door opener on my bike and then once I finish adding some lights possibly a cut off switch for them.
one of these momentary buttons:

on the right side cover about here, it's out of the way i don't have a difficult reach to push it, easy place to mount the original garage door opener on the inside, and I don't think it will be an eye sore.

I'd like some feedback or would like to see what you all have done.
I have seen these in chrome somewhere, may be here but this is what i found after a QUICK look

http://www.jcwhitney.com/clutch-side-switch-box/p2024602.jcwx?filterid=j3

Type in "clutch side switch box" in the search mode

maybe it will help:):)

Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
719 Posts
Suggestion: Put it on the left side and you can stay on the throttle as the door opens, and you also won't be interferring with the brakes as you try to find the switch when reaching around your leg...unless you plan to stop anyway. I mounted mine with velcro so the move to the left side was easy. I would also use a marine switch with the rubber boot if the switch is going to be exposed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you reach just inside of where you have that circle, that's where I mounted mine. There is a small hole already in the wall of the plastic there that is accessible from the inside with the seat off for installation. It's hidden but easy to reach with my right hand while I coast in. I had that same button originally but found a smaller one that fit perfect, no modifications and the remote I wired it to fit right in that plastic box under the seat. I'll try and get a pic if you're interested.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As for garage door openers, have you heard of Flash2Pass? Mine was very easy to install and has been working great. I can't believe that for all these years I've been having to get off my bike and hit the keypad every time. Now I just pull into the driveway and hit my high beams twice quickly and the door opens. I admit I was pretty skeptical when I odered the thing but it sure is nice to have.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There is an alternative that seems pretty effective using just sound activation, just by tooting your horn. Just saying...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, Vicflo

I did the Gadget garage door remote mod.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gdremote.htm

If you have a craftsman opener you can follow the instructions exactly. Although, I've done it with a differant remote also. Just find the correct contacts.
I attached a waterproof momentary on switch to the clutch clamp with a homemade bracket. Snaked the wires through the OE handlebar ties and under the tank to the remote stashed under the seat. Has worked great for over a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the feed back. Gibnmo I'd love to see a pic if you don't mind. I actually got the idea from the gadget website andwanted to slightly changed it up plus if I do it on either side cover it gives me a simple place to store the original garage door opener. I can't use my tool box under the seat since I have that holding on to my pcIII. The Flashpass seems awesome the horn one definitely wouldn't be useable for me since I usually come strolling home at 1:30am. thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well I just spent 70 bucks, that G-door opener looks so good.

Of course I had to spend the money on a grill cover for my Advantium oven instead.

SIGH

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have any kids, so the horn idea won't work for me. I think I'm going to look into the Flash2Pass. It seems like a great idea

·
Registered
976 Posts
Honestly, I put 30 bucks in Paypal for it. Next payday I'll add the rest and have one. I have an extra garage door opener in my jacket pocket but I don't always use that jacket and it's a pain to move it around AND the only pocket on my Johnny Rocket is down at the waste where my old one was up on my breast, real easy to hit and get back on the handlebars. I had one on my keychain but turns out, they're not water proof!

I'd really love to get one of my only two pockets back for earphones, my cellphone or junk.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here ya go VicFlo. The thing I really liked about doing it this way was that it's hidden. You'd have to be looking for it to see it, but it's easy enough to reach. I almost did the flash2pass thing but didn't want to shell out the $80-100. If I need more room in the future under my seat I'll just put the pcb in a smaller more streamlined enclosure than the original.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I shouldnt say the same I tried that reach and didn't find it as comfy so I did my original plan and love it.

why i couldn't put it under the seat

sorry all iphone pics

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a water proof switch on the left side right about where you indicated, it's very similar to the gadget remote mod. It works great and was simple to do, cost me $6.99 for parts from an electronics supply store.

After the install I was messing around one day and discovered that I could easily get my gloved fingers into the the channel under the back of the gas tank by the back bone and I could have easily mounted a switch in that area without having to drill or using additional parts. If fact with the key fob style remote I had for my garage door opener (http://liftmaster.com/consumerweb/pages/accessoriesmodeldetail.aspx?modelId=811) I could have just used some high strength double sided automotive accessory tape (the style used to stick on chrome trim on cars) and could have been done in 2 minutes.

Something to think about anyway, I have also seen remote switched installed under the speedo trim. Check out this thread for some pictures; http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4339, scroll down until you find the garage door opener mod about half way down the page.

Sam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts